Why does my Paradigm Servo-15 sub Hum?

Hum is not from the speaker. It comes from the amp inside and is real loud. I can hear it from my seat during quiet passages in music. It's not a ground issue as I have taken it to a friend's house and same result.

Any help is appreciated.
Original owner of this one year old sub.
Dave
djroberts02b8
Hi, Dave:

In response to your specific question, "why does my Paradigm Servo-15 sub hum", there are two possibilities:
1. because it is happy;
2. because it doesn't know the words to the song.

That's probably not the answer you want, however, so my third option is that the transformer that is part of the sub's amplifier module is humming. You might try removing the amp module from the sub enclosure and then plug it in, listening for the hum. Transformers, particularly less expensive types, sometimes hum, due to electrical eddies (this is not common with toroidal transformers, but is not unusual with the older-style, square transformers).

There is a remote possibility that there may be a grounding problem related to the amplifier module, rather than the grounding of the electric supply from the wall.

After you've done a little more analysis, please provide a follow-up post so we can help you narrow down the problem.
Dave,

I have the same thing with my Velodyne sub. It's the servo that's making the humming noise. I called Velodyne when I first got mine, and they assured me that all servo-controlled subs make this noise. Mine is not as you describe "real loud", but if there's no audio being played, I can also hear mine from the listening position. It's too low to interfere with normal listening though.

Ken
Check out Audioreview.com - I seem to remember in the review section comments about the Paradigms having amplifier "hums". My PW-2200 doesn't hum...