Why pay "more" for USED??

Ok, I know you must be thinking this thread is titled wrong, but I just came across an Ebay ad where a pair of B&W Nautilus 802's sold for $8,101 used! To make matters worse they were all screwed up. It has pics of the midrange cabinet all scratched and the ad says the tweeters are dented. I'm beside myself on how someone could spend "over" retail (N802's retail for $8k) for a pair of used speakers that are f'd up anyway. If your spending $8k on speakers don't you do some research first??
Don't believe me? Here's the ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1226445468
mcoker
Mcoker, I kept watch of the same auction. I about fell out of my chair! I thought was a dumb $&%! I was even talking about it at work today. I almosted emailed the guy to ask why he would spend more than list on a set of speakers that has MAJOR damage. If you look at the bid history you'll see people bidding $6K. I've seen several B&W 802N in excellent to mint cond go for $5-5.5K on audiogon. I have to say the B&W speakers on ebay go for higher than on this site. All I can say is a fool and his money...
Take a look at the bid history on that item. It looks very suspicious to me. This is obviously an instance of shill bidding which is where the owner (or his amigo) bids up the item in an attempt to jack up the price. You'll note the winner had zero feedback.
The other day on eBay a used single CD of Overtures with the NBC Symphony conducted by Toscanini went for $35. I think it sells for $13.99 at your favorite record shop.
Some things have gone for more here. Back when HCM Audio first started auctioning those Krell-Soundstream DAC-1 converters they would consistantly go for $250 here and $150 on eBay.

I also decided for fun to demo some of those new Zu Cables being auctioned on AudiogoN . At first Zu Cable was using Audiogon and eBay. I got a pair of the Oxy-Fuel interconnects on eBay for $45 (List is $90). They've been going for around $65 here. I also got a 10 meter pair of the Julian speaker cables on eBay for $90. Two pairs went here for around $155 (List is $240). Consequently Zu Cable has not been back on eBay since then. I must have gotten them for less than their cost. I've tried the Oxy-fuel interconnects. They are very good even for the $90 list. The high's are very clear. A little light in the bass, but still good detail. But what do you want for the price? I would put them in the class with the $200 Nordost Blue Heaven. I have not demo's the Julian Speaker cables yet.

I watched this auction also. Macm, bid history is suspicious, but I can vouch for the sellers. They are first class and would not try to manipulate the process; check their eBay feedback. I bought a pair of B&W CDM-NTs from them last August and later bid on a pair of N804s that got too expensive for me. I traded multiple e-mails and a couple of phone calls with them and found them to be professional and sincere. I suspect that we are simply dealing with an uninformed or trouble-making bidder (ZERO feedback). This guy will probably run away from this deal. I expect to see item re-listed shortly because the deal fell apart. I do find the second place bid a little curious though. This bidder has some auction experience and still tried to overpay.