Why Power Cables Affect Sound

I just bought a new CD player and was underwhelmed with it compared to my cheaper, lower quality CD player. That’s when it hit me that my cheaper CD player is using an upgraded power cable. When I put an upgraded power cable on my new CD player, the sound was instantly transformed: the treble was tamed, the music was more dynamic and lifelike, and overall more musical. 

This got me thinking as to how in the world a power cable can affect sound. I want to hear all of your ideas. Here’s one of my ideas:

I have heard from many sources that a good power cable is made of multiple gauge conductors from large gauge to small gauge. The electrons in a power cable are like a train with each electron acting as a train car. When a treble note is played, for example, the small gauge wires can react quickly because that “train” has much less mass than a large gauge conductor. If you only had one large gauge conductor, you would need to accelerate a very large train for a small, quick treble note, and this leads to poor dynamics. A similar analogy might be water in a pipe. A small pipe can react much quicker to higher frequencies than a large pipe due to the decreased mass/momentum of the water in the pipe. 

That’s one of my ideas. Now I want to hear your thoughts and have a general discussion of why power cables matter. 

If you don’t think power cables matter at all, please refrain from derailing the conversation with antagonism. There a time and place for that but not in this thread please. 
128x128mkgus
More like Poe's Never Bet The Devil Your Head.
As in: I'll bet the Devil my head that you're just hearing things, or you're just trying to justify the costs. And then this old man shows up out of nowhere with a power cord.... 😈

All the best,
Nonoise

prof, I indicated to you, and others, that I have no reason to respond to your ignorance or foolishness. I am never " sold " on anything, as I seek to " buy ", as, there is a difference between the two. My listening, my system, my music, my experiences, my money. Why do you care ? Stay in your camp, and I will stay in mine. The fact that you claim to not hear differences, does not mean that differences do not exist, as I certainly do hear differences. I am not trying to prove to you anything, as I do all of this buying, trying, tweaking, and of course, ultimately, listening ( which is why I do not listen with an Aiwa mini system or a boombox ), and, it is for me, and for me alone, as there continues to be more recorded information to be heard from within my music. I will move on, as it is best. Enjoy ! MrD.
Joe, 
i respect the part of your posting here as helpful when you relay the following:

At some point in time, and we don’t know it’s duration or if it remains so, an aftermarket PC cord was in use, and preferred by a tester at ARC. We know also that the makers of that cord have gotten him to state so in public, on their official website. 

You should have left left it at that.  Your inclusion trying to extrapolate that one individual’s opinion to represent ARC policy as shown by your quote in their manual is simply wrong. I’m sorry you can’t see that you twisted the ARC official words dramatically to support your (and the tester’s) opinion. 

For all we know your friend got fired for presuming to speak on behalf of ARC. 

On the flip side, if you had in print from the official policy or manuals from companies of these high end products, it would be appropriate to post up. Your quote of the ARC manual doesn’t support it, and I’m not surprised to see an ARC tech quoted on the maker of a cable’s website.  But I also wouldn’t be surprised if that sort of thing doesn’t get employees in trouble.

I am open minded about power in the lines being dirty enough that some people with poorly designed power supplies in their equipment can hear it. 

Can a pc fix that?   Opinions vary it seems.
mrdecibel

I have no reason to respond to your ignorance or foolishness.

Why the insults?  Why can't you simply discuss matters about audio like a mature adult?  (What is it about AC cables...of all things!...that makes people's emotion run so high?)

My listening, my system, my music, my experiences, my money. Why do you care ?

I don't care what you buy.

This is thread where people are giving their own views on the merits, as they see it, of high end AC cables.

Guess what?  Public forums will bring people with varying opinions together.  If you post something, someone may challenge it.  I suggest you get used to the idea rather than complain. 

You posted about CJ and AC cables; I happen to have owned CJ products for many years, so I have something to say there.  Then you declared to everyone how "prof" doesn't "get it."

That's perfectly fine if you want to write that.  But don't get all upset if I actually respond to claims that I "don't get it." 

If your feathers are so ruffled by encountering alternative views to your own, why post in this thread, let alone monitor it?  It seems to only upset you.

(And btw, I don't need you telling me to "stay in my camp."  I feel quite free to end up in any camp I please.  I could be utterly in error in most of what I've written.   I'm open to the idea cables, including AC cables, can make audible differences.  I am not in a "camp" dogmatically, as you seem to be given your posts indicate you can not imagine yourself to possibly be wrong).

Prof, I just made clear of some human traits I see in others. On top of that, I am not upset in the least. What you or others believe, particularly in high end audio, makes little difference to me. Besides, you seem to be  clueless as to the " camps " I am speaking of, or maybe you do. Some of us hear things, and some of us do not. I do not know why that is, but it seems to be the case. Enjoy your holidays, be well, and....Enjoy ! MrD.