Why would anyone want 180g records ?

Do they have any advantages, theoretically speaking? And practically speaking, besides the requirement to adjust VTA ?
inna
Great discussion

certainly showcasing the lack of sound enhancements and the marketing hype

I don't like VTA issue

the worse this is 180/200g non fill
terrible

never heard that even with crappy US 70s impure vinyl
the worse this is 180/200g non fill... terrible

I agree with you about the non-fill, audiotomb. Oddly, notwithstanding all the 180g purchases I made in that early era, I never experienced this problem. I think I must have lived a charmed purchasing life.

The higher quality pressing plants now pressing 180g (like RTI and Optimal) seem to have gotten this under control today with proper attention being paid to temperature control. Quality Records (QRP) is the only plant I’m aware of currently pressing 200g and they’ve re-engineered their presses for this weight vinyl - all the LPs I’ve received from them have been perfect.

And, with these 180g and 200g pressings, changing VTA is a must. I know a number of otherwise highly critical listeners who don’t change their VTA with different pressings and it makes me wonder how they can truly evaluate the sound quality. If you’re tonearm doesn’t easily allow for changing VTA (actually SRA), I understand how all of these different pressing weights turn into a big pain in the tuckus.

(For those interested, there are a number of good posts on Audiogon about changing VTA/SRA and the differences this makes.)
Great insight Rushton

i have had my share of quality control issues from Quality Records / Acoustic Sounds - including nonfill

if you don't know what it is, if you hear what sounds like loud tearing of newspapers for short sections thats it

I have even had whole sides affected

if you don't know what it is, if you hear what sounds like loud tearing of newspapers for short sections that's it

Yes, it sounds like the stylus has been ripped off you cantilever and only that is now dragging in the groove.