WiFi Connection

SORRY for the off topic, but Audiogon has some of the most intelligent members on the net!

I have just bought a new laptop and have never had a home "desktop" computer. Is it possible to setup a wireless network for internet access WITHOUT a desktop computer? My laptop has a built-in WiFi card and I have ComCast as my ISP. It works now, but has to be hard-wired from the modem to the laptop.

Is there such a thing as a cable modem that has the WiFi built-in so once it's hooked up it will transmit WiFi to my laptop so thay I can use it anywhere in the house?

THANKS so much for your time!!!
128x128mofimadness
Yep, works great -We use Comcast and a wireless router so both my wife and I (PC and iMac respectively) can sit anywhere in the house and enjoy the internet.
The only catch is you have to have it hard wired just for set-up only. Keep that in mind when locating it somewhere so you can get your laptop to it.
THANKS so much to everyone! I am going to try this, (probably the router route at first). I'll report back with my "hopeful" success :-)
I set mine up without having my notebook hardwired to the router. I've never had it hardwired to the router or the modem.
The wireless router/modem configuration is the most common but a wireless modem should work as well as stated above. That is what I use for my Wifi network which includes multiple laptops with a music server configured, Roku Soundbridge as internet radio and music server client, and Xbox 360.