Zu Druid questions

For some reason I've ttally overlooked these speakers. I've seen them mentioned many times and am unsure why they didn't catch my attention until now.

Anyhow, I'm very curious. I am currently running a pair of Usher 6381's. Has anyone listenedd to both the six series Ushers and the Druids? I'd love to hear your observations.

These appear to be basically a horn type speaker in the way they function. Do they have a sound similar to that of say the Klipsh heritage series, or am I way off bass?

I once owned a pair of LaScallas that I loved, but just could not put up with the size. These have peaked my interest.

Thanks.
jack_dotson
It does matter what the gauges and measurements say. Two people eating broccoli isn't a well thought out measurement. Having 20 gourmet chefs doing the same taste test would give far more meaningful results as to the quality of the vegetable. In audio, progress is being made by those people who know how to design, analyze and then correlate test measurements with good sound. In other words, you have the intelligence to know what you're doing.
F1audio: I can only offer my opinion of the hour and a half I spent with Sean of Zu in his basement listening to the Druids. I was very impressed....enough so, that I am planning to buy a set....even though I work at a high end retailer and have access to virtually any other speaker out there.

I would be curious to know specific brands/models that you have heard and can say you'd prefer Druids to them. Thanks.
I wonder if Jack simply tired of all the rhetoric and went on vacation.

Which isn't a bad idea.
I have a respect and understanding of the need for extensive R&D, lab testing, and measurements of loudspeakers and other equipment. This is how loudspeakers are designed, engineered, and created. But when consumers are deciding on which speaker to buy, do they need to look at this data? Or can they simply go listen to several speakers and decide what they like best? Again, that is a personal preference. Some may choose to decide what sounds good by looking at graphs and charts...nothing wrong with that at all. Some might just take their favorite CD in to a store, play it on 5 different speakers, and pick number 3 because they were more emotionally drawn into the music than any of the other speakers. Certainly there is no wrong-doing there either. Different strokes for different folks. :)

This is why we have these "arguements" in audio....because it is NOT an absolute science. There arent concrete plans for building the ultimate music playback system. Anything that involves using our senses for determining any kind of result is going to be this way. Simply because not everyone likes the same smells, sights, sounds, or tastes. Period. No matter how many lab tests, blind tests, measurements are taken, the simple beauty of human individuality takes over.
---"Having 20 gourmet chefs doing the same taste test would give far more meaningful results as to the quality of the vegetable."---

What are the specs for a "quality" piece of broccoli? And how can 20 gourmet chefs decide whether YOU like the taste of it?