Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Holy multi-post Batman ! You guys are making the nice people on the audiogon help desk work overtime.
Re the 'Audio' review. When you call up the pages on Chris's site, I've been alerted to what can be confusing.

Call up one of the pages, then hit the + button at the bottom right of the page TWICE, and readable it will be.
'Audio' review: further to my comment about enlarging individual pages on Chris's site.

I've found it better to use View(Toolbar)> Zoom > Zoom In, and Ctrl + or Ctrl-
Chris.
Brilliant test idea you used for checking the smoothness of the pump air flow.
I smoked my current pump running it at a higher pressure. Will definately be trying your idea out when it's replacement arrives.
Dover.
- The error you repeat, is saying that my arm exhibits a rise in bass response of 6-12db. I'm pretty sure that most of the readers here would not call 5Hz bass. I can't hear that frequency and my system certainly cannot reproduce it. The arm has always had some method of damping. This reduces the amplitude of resonance at Fr. If you ask BT, he will say that the amplitude falls away to be benign at 3x Fr. Just over 15hz in my case. A frequency which some may call Bass, but one which I doubt my system can reach down to either.
-The change in shape of the resonance curve I refer to is clearly shown in the graph BT published with the oil trough manual. It is not a smooth standard deviation type curve. There are bumps and hollows on the slopes. This is caused by other structures resonating at frequencies near the fundamental.
-BT does not increase the horiz effective mass by 18gm when he adds his oil trough and nor do I with mine. He adds 18gm to the total weight of the arm. The effective mass is increased by the weight of the paddle. Well under 1 gram on mine. This makes my arm around 96 gm when carrying the Shelter, not 114 as you state.
You repeatedly try to paint the weight of my arm as being an outlier in linear arms and that my arm is singular in being so heavy. It is not, as we have seen in this thread. Some fellow posters own these heavier arms. Criticize my arm and you simultaenously criticize theirs.
-BT uses a very elegant method to reduce the FM and AM interfearance in the audio band caused by a high ampltude Fr. He decouples the counterweight which reduces the amplitude at Fr. Other designers use another method, they damp the arms horizontal movement which also significantly reduces the amplitude at Fr. This by using an oil trough, the lead out wires, the air line or a combination of these. It is simply another method of dealing with the problem. Both are valid, both have their advocates and detractors. This is the nature of our hobby.
-Chris has clearly enunciated the improvemmets in the bass articulation when he applied my goose neck design. Could it be that the problems you hear in the bass region when you locked the counterweight were simply due to the compliance of the gooseneck being laid bare, combined with maybe insufficient damping?