How is Mid Fi defined?

I've noted on several threads that there are references to Mid Fi vs. Hi Fi, but I doubt there is much agreement on what qualifies a system as Mid Fi vs. Hi Fi.

To keep this fun, let's phrase it this way:

You might own a Mid Fi system if...
mceljo
You might own a Mid Fi system if....................

.....your speakers need enough juice that only a nuclear power station could provide.
6550c

Great answers! "THX certified" - Ha!

In one room in my house, I have an old Marantz receiver and Epos speakers. I like to think of it as a "vintage", not mid fi.

In the meantime, the real mid fi crowd must be feeling very insecure.
Wikipeida seez..

"High fidelity—or hi-fi—reproduction is a term used by home stereo listeners and home audio enthusiasts (audiophiles) to refer to high-quality reproduction of sound [1] or images, to distinguish it from the poorer quality sound produced by inexpensive audio equipment. Ideally, high-fidelity equipment has minimal amounts of noise and distortion and an accurate frequency response."

"One effort to standardize the term was the 1973 German Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN) standard DIN 45500. DIN 45 500 approval was intended to provide audio equipment buyers with reassurance that their equipment was capable of good quality reproduction. In theory, only stereo equipment that met the standard could bear the words 'hi-fi'. This standard was well intentioned but only mildly successful; in practice, the term was widely misapplied to audio products that did not remotely approach the DIN basis specifications."

and...

"In general, "lo-fi" audio is any process that fails to achieve the accuracy and "transparency" that is the goal of hi-fi audio. The meaning of the term "lo-fi" has changed over time; in the 1970s vacuum tube equipment was considered the lower fidelity alternative to the new semiconductor solid state equipment, although some still consider valves the only "pure" way of listening to music. Low fidelity is often associated with cassette tape, although in reality many people simply do not notice the difference between this and CD quality, particularly with the advent of low-quality (lower quality than cassette) mp3 files. Some lower-budget recordings from the 1970s and 1980s have a "lo-fi" sound despite the best efforts of the musicians and the producers, due to the limitations of the analog recording and processing techniques, which introduced unwanted artifacts such as distortion and phase problems. In some recordings, high fidelity recording is avoided, or the artifacts are deliberately retained or added to all or part of the recording for artistic reasons. This decision is usually made by the record producer, but in some cases, band members are advocates of the "lo-fi" sound."

Valves = "Lo Fi"? LOL

and...

"Mid-Fi is an independent record label formed by the American rock and roll band The Supersuckers in 2001."

"The label's motto is "It's not hi-fi, it's not lo-fi, it's mid-fi. And it's pretty good." This is often abbreviated to "It's pretty good." The label logo is a depiction of three bars of a graphic equalizer in such a way as to insinuate an extended middle finger. As of May of 2005, the label has only released albums, singles, and one DVD by The Supersuckers."

So the definition of "Mid Fi" is "It's pretty good". I buy that.
Notec, Tvad...

My Sonos player doesn't have a power switch either! That means Sonos is hi-fi too!

But I bought it from a big-box store. :-o
AH! I'm so confused! LoL!

Better start re-writing the book on what classifies mid/hi-fi or better yet, axe them from the English language and I might sleep better tonight. ;-)