Room Treatments

I don't really know anything about room treatments. I have done some reading but still confused. I guess my main question is how does one know if they need absorption or diffusion? I have a tv hanging on the wall behind my speakers how does that effect things. Am I better off going with traditional panels and traps, or should I be looking at resonator devices?
128x128kclone
Only bass frequencies are omnidirectional and bass frequencies will not be affected by a blanket. You are much better off treating the wall behind your head with blankets, curtains and thick absorption - this way you reduce what is reflected back from behind you. The only way you will have anything but bass sound bouncing off the TV is if it has been reflected there from another surface in the first place - so treat that other surfaces first.
there is many ways of approaching this. one is with acoustic measuring programs and another is trial and error. i chose the latter and put room tune absorbers in the upper corners of the room. i also bought 4 panels and followed all the expert advice on putting 2 behind me and 2 at the pt of first reflection on the sides of my room. for a couple of 100 dollars i got to have the fun of experimenting and getting standing waves problem reduced. i just trusted my ears and am satisfied with the results. since my first foray i bought 4 concrete forms at lowes and have been experimenting with placement on the wall behind the speakers. the yellow construction zone color does wonders for the interior decorating. ha enjoy
just behind my listening chair to my right is an open area that leads to the upstairs. Think I should put panels up behind me anyway. I do have 4 echo buster base traps and 4 echo busters panels. It is just that I was never really sure the best way to apply everything. I may check out Rives. Again, thanks for the input guys.
In photos I have seen Rives often modify the wall between and behind the speakers and make it curve inwards smoothly by a couple of feet at the maximum point centered between the speakers. This will have an impact on the bass and may help reduce quarter wave bass cancellation - resulting in smoother bass freq response. This will also diffuse reflected energy and may help imaging but this is a major modification to the rooms wall - this is a lot more than just hanging a blanket over a TV.
Hotmailjbc - "since my first foray i bought 4 concrete forms at lowes and have been experimenting with placement on the wall behind the speakers"

Did you fill the forms with insulation or some kind of stuffing material. How well do they work? What size did you use?

Thanks Pat