Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Slaw,
I appreciate your posts ( and humor ). I'm not as anal regarding my audio system as some other members. My hearing isn't as good as it once was ( a misspent youth doing a lot of target shooting without hearing protection ) so don't have the ability to hear many of the nuances that the various tweaks and upgrades to the ET2 provide. I love the construction and mechanical operation of the arm ( and the sound it provides ) and enjoy reading about the various mods, tweaks and upgrades that members undertake even though I'm unable to appreciate them myself. My HW19 Mk IV with Super Platter, SAMA, Walker Motor Controller and ET2 ( HP manifold ) with a Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso dti cartridge is one of my favorite turntables ( I currently have 8 ).
Bigalt

My HW19 Mk IV with Super Platter, SAMA, Walker Motor Controller and ET2 ( HP manifold ) with a Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso dti cartridge is one of my favorite turntables ( I currently have 8 ).

8 turntables.. Holy Moly....

How many are setup for active duty ? :^)

We all seem to "collect" in this hobby.
Audiogon member Manitunc from this thread, has admitted to owning Five ET2's.
I admit to hobby collection problems also. Although I see my HP ET 2.0 and 2.5 as tools to complete the turntable setup. My collection problems seem to center around speakers.

An interesting ET2 came into my inbox.
A rare HP manifold version.

not affiliated with the ad.
I must say looking at all the parts shown shown in the ad, it must be intimidating to those not familiar with the arm ?
I can remember some years ago, people would list ET2 HP models on auction sites for the same price as base models, unaware of differences. hmm....
All 8 are set up and individually switchable in or out of my system. To make matters even worse I have 5 more that aren't set up ( talk about a TT junkie ). The ones set up are my VPI HW 19 MK IV with the ET2, a Merrill Heirloom TT fully upgraded by Anthony Scillia with all his mods and upgrades with a Triplanar VII U2 arm, an Amazon 2 TT with a Kuzma Stogi Ref 313VTA arm, a Townshend Rock 7 with a Helius Omega 10" arm, a Townshend Elite II TT with a Townshend Excaliber arm, a Marantz SLT U TT ( the original linear TT ), a Sony FL77 Biotracer linear TT and a Sony FL 7 linear TT. And if that's not enough, I have a PTP Audio Solid 9 TT on order which I'm going to pair with a VIV labs 7" Rigid Float Tonearm I already have.
The interesting thing about the HP manifolds is that Bruce will still supply them for the ET2 on special order for only $300. I know because I got one for each of my ET2 arms ( one with and one without the damper trough ).
hi Bigalt:

When you bought your HP manifolds, did you send in your spindles so Bruce could match them to the manifolds? Or did he just send the manifolds to you and they ended up working fine without being matched?