RMAF 2012 Postmortem

Doesn't seem to be an RMAF 2012 thread yet.

Wondering what people thought, so I'll make a start.

Best in Show:

The big Ventures. Hard to describe how good these speakers sounded without being sappy. IMHO, embarrassing to other "statement" speakers at the show, like the big TAD and Lansche.

I was mostly interested in high efficiency speakers. Especially good were:

Zu Defintion IV
Devore Gibbon 93 and 96
Sonist C4

The Sonists, playing in the Snake River system, sounded especially good considering their (comparatively) reasonable price.

A few other noteworthy speakers were

Vapor's new 3 way

Vivid's space alien rendition of a mini-tower in the Tweak geek room

The Evolution mini-monitor was the best (reasonably) accessible speaker I heard, at 2500. Very good.

Opinions based on information overload, over a day and a half of listening.

Any other impressions?

John
jdoris
Thanks Dpe. I'm prone to earbleed and fatigue from etched audiophile detail, but I've not noticed the buzz.

John
Petrakis, WOW! nice and long first post. I am actually looking to dump my Vapor Cirrus Blacks and your post has enlightened me to look into some of these other speakers. Thanks!

I know another recent Vapor customer that may be looking to sell his Cirrus. Send me a pm if interested.

And I must add, for not being on the internet much you sure know how to post like a pro! :) I actually thought I was reading something a reviewer wrote.
I've traded a couple emails with Ryan at Vapor Audio and it looks like the Joule White is the best fit for me. I still haven't made a decision, and may end up with the Analysis panels. Also found a very nice deal on a pair of Rosso Fiorentino Sienna's, and the Estelon's are the other one still in the running, but can't seem to find any discounts on them.

Jpl208 - I may take you up on that. I've been thinking about the Cirrus Black for a 2nd room system. I have no idea how to send pm's though.
Dpe,

A buzz in the 10-12 kHz region from a ribbon tweeter should show up in a frequency response curve. On my RAAL ribbon tweeter the response curve is as flat as a pancake. A lot of dome tweeters start to roll off above 10 kHz and I think that is what you must be hearing.

Bob
Petrakis, I see you are now having second thoughts on the Vapor Audio speakers. I understand.
More to discover