Retro Hi End Trivia Question

Does anyone remember the "Quatre Gain Cell" amplifier?

While thinking about various configurations for my latest "new" system, I found myself daydreaming about the "high end" room of my local dealer when I was still in school:

as I recall, a Thorens turntable with an Infinity black widow arm, the Apt Holman preamp, and Dahlquist DQ 10s and Dahlquist subwoofer driven by the mysterious "Quatre Gain Cell".

It sounded great -- the type of sound and music and fun that got me into this addiction where I am still unsuccessfully chasing the first high....

I would be interested in buying one of these amps for fun to put in a bedroom, but I never see or hear about them.
cwlondon
I tried a Gain Cell back in the very early '80's while searching for an amp to run my Acoustats properly, but it wasn't up to the task (nor were amps from Crown and Luxman- ended up with a Bryston that worked out splendidly), and haven't seen one since. Don't know how they worked with other speakers.

On the subject of hot-running amps, I used to have a Phase Linear 400 running a pair of ESS Rock Monitors, and that Phase would get hotter than my George Foreman grill!
Hey Cwlondon,

Hi-fi nostalgia. Totally perfect retro system. I remember the same setup. I worked at Infinity in the late-70's . . . weren't we meant to use the Black Widow with a Grado in order to be totally in step with the Best Thinking of the time? Quatre had their shop up the street somewhere in the San Fernando Valley at the time, too, I think. We young hi-fi nerds used to mess around with Great American Sound Ampzillas, too, until Infinity brought out their Bascom King-designed HCA (Hybrid Class A) fan-blown power amp. Ah -- getting to take the proto or a production piece home was quite a treat. Anyone else remember that amp?

Michael Elliott
www.ariaaudio.com
Yes, I remember the Quatre Gain Cell amp. I bought one the weekend before I got married in October, 1978. It was systemed with an Audionics BT2 pre, a FONS TT and Maggy IIa's. It sounded and ran fine. Even though I had heard all the horror stories, the dealer I purchased it from assured me that thid model was the new improved one. The problem never manifested in my system. In the early 80's I had the amp mod/upgaded to a QMI 300 (I think that was the #). QMI was the company that purchased the Quatre name, technology and company. I replaced the Quatre with a Threshold S450e in 1992 but held on to Quatre. The power transformer did develop a mechanical hum but the hum was not audible through the speakers. About five years ago I gave it to my neighbor's son, who was just starting to get into audio. It went to college for five years (while the owner got an EE degree from the Univ. of MI) and it is still working fine today. The owner stated he is going to keep it and perform a DIY power supply change out and some other parts upgrade. He is into DIY big time now.

Some people have asked how long audio equipment will last and this shows they can last a long time (24 years)even when the odds are against it. I'm looking forward to the day I can hear the mod Quatre/QMI gain cell.
Michael Elliott -- Thanks. Yes, it was with a Grado. Or occasionally the old Denon (103?) moving coil. That must have been a popular set up. Exotic, inspiring and musical.

Perhaps I am just being sentimental and nostalgic but I would still swear that in many ways audio has gotten worse in the last 25 years. And I'm only 37. Not just trying to be an old stick in the mud or anything.

Let's hear more nostalgia!
Michael, the HCA was quite an amp if memory serves but Infinity followed it up with a class D digital amp that seemed to blow-up whenever one looked at it. It was quite a bit before it's time (pun intended) but totally new thinking.