Ok this will be a good thread.

What in your opinion is the most important part of a good 2 channel system. Or what has the biggest impact on overall sound. For example if you feel Speakers are most important, or Preamp, Amp, Source. I am not looking for a ss vs. tube debate, just what do you feel is most important.

I will start:
I feel speakers are the most important part. I know lots of you are going to say electronics, but keep it to one part, like Preamp, Amp, etc.
Steve
musiqlovr
Hey look guys. I did the TT test a couple hundred times at the store. I sold analog gear. Do you really think I'm not aware of a cartridge mismatch?

We did the demonstration to show the differences sources can make in a system. So that people could get the straight info, instead of the "buy better speakers" mantra from all the mid-fi salesmen. I could just as easily have sold them a $4000 pair of Isobariks, instead of a $1200 TT. But I actually thought enough of these people to show them the true facts, and demonstrate it, so they could hear it for themselves. They made the buying decisions.

These were standard TTs, using standard cartridges and such, that we commonly sold with these products. This was not some kind of trick to fool these people into thinking something that wasn't true.

I swear sometimes I think it's useless to try to bring any form of sanity to discussions like these.

If we used the same cartridge, you'd suspect cable mismatch. No matter what we used, you'd suspect anything except what you want to believe.

I've given you some accurate information. If you want to ignore it, go right ahead. Sometimes I just have to throw my hands up, and say,"Sheesh!" If I said the sky is blue, somebody on here would argue about that, too.
Twl I understand exactly what you are saying and I cannot fault it one iota the source is the key but you know he who bangs the advertisng stick loudest and longest gets the wallets and that means speakers my friend.Keep on posting the truth.
Speakers, Speakers, Speakers
I'm reminded of my mentor in highway design. He said the three most important elements of a highway design are drainage, drainage and drainage.
Twl, I thought the comparison was really thought provoking and convincing in many ways. My post was not intended to suggest you were trying to trick anyone. If you had used the same cartridge I would not question the choice of cables, phono section maybe ;) Did the righteous indignation help close deals with the customers who might have had similar questions? :)
Twl, the sky is red, my friend. It is red.... Hahaha... HAHAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHA... HAHAHHAHAHHAHA... Sorry could help it.