Help -- my system is too bright

Recently, I upgraded my amplifier to a Krell FPB 350 MCX. I am getting amazing detail and clarity, bass is
tight and extended. I turned off my sub-woofer. The highs are also extended, but now my system seems to have a bright edge at the very top and is slightly fatiguing. Anybody else have this type of problem? What did you do about it?
rsbeck
Rsbeck,

I am not sure of your budget, but the new Ayre CD deck is outstanding! If you are considering new, add this to your list.
Rsbeck, I have been through exactly what you are experiencing. Krell amps are neutral, accurate, powerful, and painfully revealing. This is great when the source and the rest of the system are up to the task, but otherwise they can drive you crazy. I have the MC version of the FPB 350's and love them. However, it has taken some time and money to get the rest of the system up to par and I still need a first class cdp. I once had B&W N802's connected with junk speaker wire and it sounded horrible at medium to high listening levels. There was no bass and the highs would peirce your ears. I added Cardas GR speaker cables and that made a huge difference in bass extention and mellowed out the highs significantly. But I was still not satisfied. At the time, I was using the Krell HTS 7.1 as the pre with a old Denon cdp connected with a digital coax. I began to realize that the AV preamp was not going to give me the first class 2 channel performance that I was seeking. So, I sold that and the N802's. The N802's were purchased as a temp until I could find the speakers that I really wanted. I recently added a Krell KCT preamp and Wilson WP 7 speakers and now things are starting to gel. The resolution is unreal and the sound is smooth, powerful, full and sweet but I can hear the old Denon cdp in the chain. I am currently shopping for a cdp but have not made a decision yet.

I am not suggesting that you need to go through the changes and expense that I have. Your goals may be totally different than mine. But, if you are ever to be happy with Krell amps in your system, the rest of the system must be on par. They will definately let you know if something else in the chain is noisy. They are extremely revealing.
Noble -- thanks for the suggestion. Have you heard the
Ayre? How does it compare with, say, the Audio Aeros,
Naims, and Tri-vistas of the world? Tell me what you
like about it.
WVick --

I'm curious. Did you do anything to clean up your AC?

I have ordered a BP-3.5 from Balanced Power Technologies
and I am dying to see what kind of difference this makes.

I will post a review after I get it in my system, which
will take a few weeks.

I love my speakers, but I have also auditioned the
Watt/Puppy 7's and loved them. I can imagine how
the Krells and WP 7's would make a great pairing.

I have not heard the WP 6's, but I keep an eye on the
Wilson page for a deal on a pair. I'm not ready to spring
for the price of new WP 7's, but for the price of a
used pair of 6's, I may just have to get a pair into
my system and play with 'em.

How close are the 6's to the 7's?

Also, how long did it take to burn in your Krells?
Rsbeck, I am not using any power conditioner but I did install 2 dedicated 20A outlets for the amps. I may add a power conditioner for the pre amp and cpd but I do not plan to add anything for the amps.

Wilson Audio and Krell are a classic match. The WP 6's are great speakers and I planned to get a pair until I listened to the 7's. The 7's are a bit smoother, more refined and musical from top to bottom. I could have lived with the 6's but I knew this was going to be my last speaker purchase for a long time so I went for the 7's. I am very happy with them. There is a very good reveiw on the 7's here: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/wilson_watt_puppy7.htm

I don't really know how long it took to burn the amps in. They seem to get better as time goes on. They have been in my system for 8 months and I have made several changes along the way. With the exception of the cdp, I don't plan on making any more equipment changes. Hope this helps.