Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Josh - it's all worth a try as the opportunity offers itself.
Who knows. Maybe it affects things. If I get the opportunity, I'll let you know. I think my wife has a wool rug in a bedroom.
You are right Matt, looking at the web site, Rockna Audio looks, at least on paper, very interesting. The DAC is all based on FPGA, and the server combines a spinning disk player with a server / memory player. I have not found any US prices, the company being based in Roumania.

http://www.rockna-audio.com

The US importer is:

AudioPrana LLC
69 Boston Ave Medford, Massachusetts 02155-3521 United States
Tel.: 617 669 3275
audioprana@gmail.com

G.
Matt- which DACs are on the short list to contend with your Empirical once you've settled on speakers, etc.?

I'm curious as to how the DirectStream with Yale firmware would stack up against the ODSE and also a higher priced DAC such as totaldac D1-twelve. Does anyone following this thread have the Yale firmware yet?

-Josh
Guys, there are some very real DAC's that will hit the market in the next year or so. I think that folks may want to hold off a bit on upper end DACs/Servers as things may just blow up in the next year. I can't share the companies right now as I was asked not to, but we all know Steve is also coming out with his new upper end DAC too. there are only a handful of DACs that I personally enjoy as I still love vinyl, but I have been enjoying Steve's OSDE/SE a whole lot for the same reasons Matt has his. We've spoken a bit about it. I think Steve just gets the digital and analog filtering correct. I have liked Berkley's newest DAC, but I really need to hear the mk II vs the Overdrive and I hope to do that in the next couple of weeks when I head back to NJ to listen at my dealer there.