Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Could one of you post the "short list" of today's CD/SACD players and stand alone DACs by design (R2R, Delta Sigma, etc)?

-Josh
Josh - a short list is not easy. Tech changes so quickly it's hard to make a list of what to try.

Wisnon is obviously pretty happy with the performance of the Lampizator Golden Gate (although I think he has a Lampy 7). CTSooner and I are very happy with our ODSE DAC's. Many have reported good things about the newest version of the Bricasti M1 and the newest software upgrade of the PS Audio DAC. And Esoteric, MSB, DCS and such are always pumping out newer versions of their Uber dacs. The Chord DAVE is intriguing and the Rockna DAC I was recently made aware of looks pretty interesting as well. The Rowland Aeris was a sensational DAC when I had it also.

If there is one thing my trek has taught me is that if it interests you, you need to hear it for yourself in your system. It's the only way to really know. Not just hear it at a show or in a store, but in your system in your room. Dealers these days are typically happy to lend a piece of kit to you for a few days if you are sincere. Sometimes a deposit or payment in full with refund may be needed. It's worth it every time!

As a bias, if you are looking for PCM only to get the best damn red book you can, it will be touh to beat my little ODSE.
Hey Matt, did you ever get your Uptone Audio USB Regen? Have you tried it? What do you think?
Hi Matt- yes, my experience has been that hearing speakers or electronics in another system has little value. Gotta hear it at home and ideally for a decent stretch of time.

I'm looking to put a "short list" of CD/SACD players and stand alone DACs into the context of the design- delta sigma, R2R, etc. And then note for each the analog stage design, power supply or other important distinguishing engineering. Thought it might be a nice way to put them into some perspective and then see how it evolves over time.

-Josh
Yes. I got my Regen last week.
No, I haven't tried it yet.
Been crazy at work and have been practically obsessing about picking out my speaker.

I've had a crazy amount of speakers going through the room and seam to be narrowing it down nicely. My issue is that the pair I really really emotionally bond with are crazy expensive and the pair I'm comparing them with (which are exceptional but I can't quite seam to connect with as much) are way less expensive.

I still need to give the Vandy 7's another listen and have a few others I'm looking at. But the Marten Tenors grab my heart and my soul every time I put them back in the system.

Once I get that all settled I'll try the Regen and report. I also need to get that Bricasti M1 in to try. And I'd like to see if I can get John to bring over that Romulus Sig CD/DAC to try as well.