Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Ricred1 - I can tell you that Bricasti has demoed their M1 DAC directly driving their new mono power amps at recent shows, and the sound has been reported by several reviewers as one of the best of the shows. So it has the capability to perform exceptionally well as a preamp - in the proper system. It will depend upon how well it matches the power amp you're using, as far as its input impedance and sensitivity. Unfortunately the only way to really know how well it will work in a specific system is to try it, as to whether you will like it as much as having an active linestage. Hope this helps at least a little bit with your search! Good listening.
Bill,
Thanks for the info and you are correct, the only way to know is to try it. I have decided to sell my DSD and purchase a M1.
Ricred1 has a real well designed amp from a great and very well respected designer. Both are spec'd well within each others optimal performance envelopes. I agree that hearing is Always best and the safest but much harder to do these days than before... I have heard both just not together but I think Ricred1is amp will sound GREAT with the M1 IMO...

Hey Essentialaudio

Thanks so much !!!

I had no idea about this brand new review.

It looks like it's just a couple days old or so from March 2015 and its a must read IMO.

For my fellow Agon comrades that may not have the time or inclination to read the entire review here is a cliff notes version with a few exerts to give you the gist of it... I really like the down to earth conversational style of this Dagogo review.

By: Ed Momkus | March 2015 Dagogo

" I will start this review of the Bricasti Design Model 1 USB DAC by taking out all of the suspense. The M1 is one of the best DACs available on the market at any price. In fact, when used in the right system it is actually a bargain, since it allows you to eliminate a preamp. It also gives tweakers a huge range of filter options that adjust the sound. Finally, it’s a great looking piece of equipment that you’ll be proud to feature on your equipment stand. The M1 is so good that there is no need for a long review – there’s simply nothing in the way of a weakness. Any DAC that’s “better” is not better because of a shortcoming in the M1. Now that’s out of the way, let’s get to the details."

"Whatever Bricasti did to achieve it, the M1’s digital volume control is excellent. "

" I bought and sold several well-regarded DACs and developed the opinion that audiophile DACs fell into one of two camps: (1) fast, excellent PRAT, “detailed” sounding (although that’s not a good description, as we will see) and “ethereal”; and (2) powerful, dynamic, full-bodied and somewhat impressionistic."

" In my system the Bricasti M1 completely obliterates the distinction between these two DAC camps. "

" The tonality of every difficult instrument to reproduce – pianos, violins, cymbals, etc. – was excellent. Every instrument, including vocals of every type, sounded natural. Tony Bennet, Diana Krall, Pavarotti, Mick Jagger, Patricia Barber and every other famous voice I played sounded very good and lifelike. At no time did anything sound like something else, and there was no confusion between upper standup bass and the lower registers of the cello, electric bass and electric guitar, mellotron and organ, etc. Quite refreshing."

"Finally, a note on power cords and footers. One of the pleasant things I noted about the Bricasti M1is that it sounded very good with a range of PCs. In addition, the existing feet of the M1 do a great job on their own. I eventually opted against using any aftermarket cones or discs. This can really make it easier to justify the purchase. I did not need to search for a “perfect” matching power cord or footers, both which would add considerably to the overall cost."

" the Bricasti M1 is an elite DAC regardless of price. Instead, I was looking for an analogy outside the audiophile world. I came across a review of the Bricasti where the reviewer stated that “the M1 is an understated performer, one that doesn’t necessarily scream for attention.” I understand exactly what he meant, though I would add some clarification. The Bricasti M1 is “understated” in the sense that Jackie Robinson made baseball look easy and Stevie Ray Vaughn made playing blues guitar look easy. They may have made it look easy, but you knew you were in the presence of greatness. That’s the Bricasti M1."