NOS tubes for Sonic Frontiers Line 1

I just recently bought a Line 1 here on the Gon, Sounds great, but, I would like to do a little experimenting with some NOS tubes. I under stand the back two tubes make the biggest difference.
I would appreciate any suggestions? It now has the Sovtek 6922 stock tubes.

Thanks, Jim
jea48
Sirspeedy, Siemens CCa early 60s tubes, do your home work... Ask lots of questions. Ask for pictures. Here is a Great picture;

http://gon8.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1115367414.jpg
Here is a response I posted on another members thread.
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1126736041&openmine&zz

09-19-05: Jea48
Gsselling, I spent most of yesterday experimenting changing tubes around in my Line 1. Lately I have been running a pair of early 60s NOS Siemens CCa tubes in the back row LV1 & V1. In the center row LV2 & V2 a pair of Amperex early 60s PQ USA 7308 tubes.
I moved the PQs to the back row and the CCa tubes to the center row. I new I would here a difference and indeed I did.
I listened for about an hour or so. Then I pulled the CCa tubes from the center and installed a pair of Telefunken E188CC tubes. I had interchanged the Telefunken E188CC and the Siemens CCa tubes in the back row enough times I new what to expect in the difference in sonics between the two tubes. I turned the Line one on and let it warm up for about a half hour. I then sat down for a listen......I listened for about an hour. Playing the same CDs I had listened to with the CCa tubes. The differences were still there but on a larger scale. Confused, yes...I pulled the E188CC tubes and reinstalled the CCA tubes. Turned the preamp back on, waited about a half hour and sat back down for a listen. The difference in sound between the two pairs of tubes is definitely more noticeable in the center row, LV2 & V2 than in the back row LV1 & V1.

Last night I sent an email myself to Chris Johnson.

Mr. Chris Johnson;
I know you have probably answered this question in the past several times. I
am of the understanding that the order of importance of tube placement in
the Sonic Frontiers Line 1 and Line 2 is as follows,
LV1 & V1..... most important will yield the biggest change in sound.
LV2 & V2.....Second most important.
LV3 & V3.....least important.

I have the Line one and have been installing the best of breed NOS tubes in
the back row, LV1 & V1. Early 60s Siemens CCa, Amperex White label PQ 7308
USA made, Telefunken E188CC, and Telefunken E88CC tubes.

Someone just posted a thread on Audiogon saying that "Sonic Frontiers" says
the center row LV2 & V2 will yield the biggest change in sound followed by
LV1 & V1.

Chris will you settle this once and for all. Who best can answer this
question but you the former owner and designer, of the Sonic frontiers Line
1, 2, and 3. Will you please give the reasons why.

Also would you mind if I posted your answer in quotes on Audiogon. I will
only post that part of your answer that you approve.

Thank you very much for your time.

Left my Full name
Audiogon user name jea48
My email address

A simple answer, unsigned:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>"LINE 1, Line-2

Most important.....gain tubes V2, LV2"<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A reply email address,
Information [info@partsconnexion.com]

Jim
Jea48 (Threads | Answers)
(edit my post)
I like amperex holland orange globes in my line 1-- they beat out mullards, valvos, bugle boys, and 50s amperex D getters in my system.

Haven't tried the PQs, siemens or teles, but I've got two sets of orange globes in V1-V4 and the quietest valvos i had in V5 and V6. It's working just fine for me.
Well nothing like starting over. In the last three weeks or so I have acquired two pairs of early 60s NOS Siemens CCa tubes. The first pair about 3 weeks ago. Time enough before I was told the center row was the most important on the Line one. Up to that point I was switching out the back row with the CCa tubes and the Telefunken E188CC, Telefunken E88CC, And a pair of 70s Siemens CCa tubes. I was using a pair of early 60s NOS Amperex PQ 7308 USA made tubes in center row.

As far as the back row the Telefunken E188CC and the early Siemens CCa tubes were the best sounding tubes. The Siemens seemed to be a tad thinner sounding than the Telefunken tubes. The back row. Infact I thought the E188CC tubes sounded great. They were a good match with the Amperex 7308 tubes in the center row.

Then the apple cart was upset. Time to start all over. I moved the Amperex to the back row and installed the Siemens CCa tubes in the center row. The sound, the siemens were very transparent, with plenty of air. Midrange was full and focused. Krall's Piano was the best sounding to date. I liked this arrangement better than having the Amperex in the center and the Siemens in the back row.

I then pulled the Siemens and installed the Telefunken E188CC tubes. Big difference in sound in the center row, than I heard in the back row. The Siemens clearly pulled ahead of the Telefunken tubes imo...The Telefunken tubes lacked the transparency and air of that of the Siemens tubes.

I pulled the telefunken E188CC and reinstalled the Siemens CCa tubes to varify my findings. In my system the CCa tubes sound better. That is in the center row.

I also compaired the Siemens to the Telefunken E88CC tubes and the Siemens sounded better to even a larger degree than the differences heard between the Siemens and the Telefunken E188CC tubes.

The worst sounding tube in the center row was the 70s Siemens CCa tubes. Midrange was warm but not focused. Highs were rolled off. Bass was loose and a little muddy. I bought these tubes early in the game and was mislead by a seller here on Agon. I was told they were from the late 60s.

Yesterday my second pair of early 60s NOS Siemens CCa tubes came. I pulled the Amperex 7308 tubes from the back row and installed the Siemens tubes. I will post back the results later.

Jim
HI,

I'm using SFL-1 hybrid with telefunken 801s...excellent nos. or you may try RCA black plate

cheers