What can you tell me about First Sound pre-amps?

Only recently have heard about these pre-amps. Are they as good as they are made out to be? Is the least expensive model as good as say a R0land Synergy? I live in Seattle and have never heard of this pre-amp so any information would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jerry.
dumboatc8da
Wow Art, now the CAT? Very cool. You move so fast! 8-) Does your unit also have the phono stage or just a line stage?

With all the discussion here with the CAT Ultimate having some impedance mismatch and other interface issues with amps, I am sure it would be quite happy hooked up to its relatives, the JL-3's. Now you need to bring it AND the Berning AND the Capitole over for some listening. Just wish I had a tonearm cable with RCA connectors. Just let me know or I can lug over the Callisto to hear how it sounds in your system.

John
OK, John. I wont receive the CAT for another 3+ weeks, but it would be fun to hear the relative contribution(s) of all these components in two different systems. My unit will only be a linestage - I dont spin vinyl and dont have any plans in the forseeable future. Plus. it could be added on in the future should that need arise. I would definitely like to hear the callisto in my system, so once the peices are in order, we can play.

On the FS cabling question, I had stereovox IC's, which a re actually silver, but very very smooth, and I thought mated well with the FS. I also had tried Nordost Valhalla, but much preferred the stereovox, which had all the openness and detail, but was richer, and had a more fleshed out tonality vs the valhalla.
I have been working with Emmanuel and have just had a 4 chassis Presence Deluxe MK2 hot-rodded version upgraded to Paramount Plus and the Vishay Attenuator package. I also had him reconfigure to the standard version w/ multiple inputs.
I had the regular Presence Deluxe MK2 before this. My impressions are as follows:

1. Even the "lowly" Presence Deluxe MK2 is superior to anything near it 4k price range. It is quiet, smooth and does everything a preamp should do - accurately preamplify the music signal while adding no signature of its own.

2. The 4 chassis hot rod version goes a number of steps beyond. You get all of the above and more. Channel separation of course is primo. There is an immediacy and closeness to the music that really helps emotionally connect one to the music. It is one of the best preamps out there at any price. Because of the inconvenience of the single input I was going to sell it. I found nothing that bested it. I found a couple for 10k and above that came close.

3. Instead of selling it I decided to make this my last preamp. I contacted Emmanuel and he worked with me and upgraded the preamp as well as converting it to multiple sources. I read in Guidocorona's post that there are tradeoffs between the Hot Rod (more musical purity)and regular version, and I must agree. However I was totally unprepared for the sound revelation I had when I listen to the Paramount Plus and Vishay attenuators. I won't go on and on here, but suffice it to say that this has got to be on a short list of the world's BEST preamps. I was not prepared because I could not imagine the sound becoming that much better than what I already had. But it did.

I have no affiliation w/ Emmanuel BUT that being said I cannot say enough about his customer service, almost fanatical dedication to MUSIC (I mean that IS why we're here right?) and his products.

I would be happy to expand on my experiences concerning these preamps. email me and I would be happy to give you my number and chat.
In comparing FS with CAT, i found CAT the clear winner.

Very different-CAT with strong dynamics and a stark, very clear sound that cuts through-if you have the right system that would complement and can handle those attributes, might be an excellent match.

The CAT on the other hand, immediately reeks of class and musicality-smooth, lush yet concise, vibrant. The First Sound might be 2% clearer, but IMO the CAT's vibrancy and aliveness is considerably more engaging, to me..

Immediately i thought "here's a winner".