Suggestions, please...

Can anyone give me some suggestions for expanding my knowledge of classical music?

I tend to prefer Vivaldi, Mozart, Saint-Saens, Rachmaninoff, Gershwin (I know Rachmaninoff and Gershwin aren't technically "classical"), and some Chopin. I will be up front and say I hate Wagner and Copeland, and am not too keen on Mahler, either. Not much of a Beethoven fan, except for parts of the 7th and 9th.

I am interested in learning works of some other composers, though, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
fab4fan
Auaarons:
Mozart-everything.

Vivaldi-"The Four Seasons" and "Gloria"

Saint-Saens-"The Swan" and "Danse Macabre"

Rachmaninoff-Piano Conc. 2, Piano Conc. 3, Variations on a Theme from Paganini

Gershwin-everything, but "Rhapsody in Blue" is my favorite.

Slipknot1-Ancient Airs and Dances sounds interesting...I will have to check that out. I've heard of the "Goldberg Variations" but don't know if I actually know them.

Marakanetz-I said that because I had a piano teacher who constantly corrected my for saying he was "classical."

Thank you everyone!
The piano teacher was technically correct. "Classical music" is music of the classical era while Rachmaninov was of the "romantic" era. We tend to use the term "classical" to cover several eras.
You could ease into baroque with concertos by Handel, Vivaldi, Bach and Albinoni. Analekta has a good disc of Vivaldi string concertos with Angèle Dubeau and her Stradivarius. They also have a killer Handel recording with Karina Gauvin, listen to a snatch here:

UHF magazine's Analekta page

You might also like Purcell, the more joyous things with brass to start with (Odes and Welcome Songs), and Haydn, the cello concertos maybe. There are millions of recordings of these, my favourite being the one with Iona Brown conducting and Truls Mork on the cello (Virgin).

I also think solo piano is a good way to get to know a composer. Listening to pieces from different periods, from Bach to Keith Jarrett, you get a feel for how different times led composers to work with the same limits in different ways. It's amazing how contemporary a Haydn piano sonata can sound.

Oh, and don't forget the late Schubert trios.
Marakanetz, is Baroque classical ? Some says yes, some says no, some says I'm off topic, some says I ain't ;o) Hope it helps old Fab4fan...