Concert Hall? Or Dedicated Listening Room?

Maybe I missed them, but the last time I was in Carnegie Hall or the Metropolitan Opera House, I didnt notice any tube traps, foam rubber panels, high margin, pillow like things in the corners of the ceiling or Michael Green passing out business cards during intermission.

So as I start to contemplate my next listening room, I am wondering:

Are any of the principles of great concert halls relevant to good sound in a more domesticated listening room environment?

Other than size, is there some reason we shouldnt compare these two environments?

Albeit on a smaller scale, could we build a mini "hall" using the principles of great concert hall design, put the front end in the engineers area, and just set our big giant high end speakers on a small "stage"?

Or am I missing something?

Beyond great sound, I would rather my listening/living room look more like some of the beautifully designed halls I have seen, than a rubber walled, geeked out recording studio.

Just a thought on a wintery day.....
cwlondon
"Problem" with that is that the acoustic of your listening room will interfere with the acoustic of the recorded space and the stereo imaging the recording engineer and producer worked so hard to capture. Think of listening to your current rig in a marble/granite tiled room and you'll get the idea. If you listen to mono recordings, or have Bose speakers, or you prefer everything you hear to be in the same acousic (like a cathedral), your concept could work very nicely. But if you want to listen to the recording to hear not just the music but also the recorded space in which the music was made and the characteristic sound of the musicians making that music, I would think that a room designed to sound like a particular concert hall would blur or even obliterate those cues. All that said, though, you really do not have to have a rubber-walled recording studio look (I couldn't stand that either) to get good sound--take a look at some of the virtual systems like Albert Porter's, for example.
Interesting idea.

I think concert halls and many listening venues are designed to carry, transmit and accentuate musical performances. They create their own dimensionality and tonal character.

Reproducing music in our home is a different endeavor. For the most part, we're trying to recreate that performance by creating a listening environment that will convey its life without obscuring or interfering with it.

I understand your aversion to a recording studio like environment for a home listening room. I'm partial to a small study/library with a 2 channel rig. Something cozy.

CW, how cold is it where you are? I often lose perspective of winter being that I'm in Los Angeles.
hi

Why don't you check out Michael Green ,check out tuneland ,they are beyond what you think ,if all you know about MG is the pillows,your in for a rude awakening...

Go to tuneland,check out these threads,Hiend1,Xavier,JIM,Bill,MG systems,cdimi,Doug ,Roy and so many more,20k-100k systems being sold,hi-fi is dead compared to the systems these guys have.