Fuses that matter.

I have tried six different fuses, including some that were claimed to not be directional. I have long used the IsoClean fuses as the best I have heard. No longer! I just got two 10 amp slow-blows WiFi Tuning Supreme fuses that really cost too much but do make a major difference in my sound. I still don't understand how a fuse or its direction can alter sound reproduction for the better, but they do and the Supreme is indeed! I hear more detail in the recordings giving me a more holographic image. I also hear more of the top and bottom ends. If only you could buy them for a couple of bucks each.
tbg
"A difference that makes no difference is no difference".

An obscure quote from an obscure scifi novel I read years ago that has always stuck with me. I find it quite useful to help sort through priorities in life.
05-14-12: Almarg
On page 3 they state in reference to the resistance measurements that:

"There is a measurable difference in directivity of fuses. Mostly that will be due to the way the melting wire is manufactured. The difference is in the range of 5%."

In fact, all or nearly all of the directional differences in resistance were vastly smaller than 5%...
That was exactly what I thought. I wondered where they got the 5% from. When I looked at the measurements they provided, I thought "Wow, those are tiny differences. How is that audible?" It makes me wonder whether I heard what I thought I heard.
I don't exclude the possibility that a fuse change can make a difference, but once again the explanations that are offered in support of the existence of those differences do not withstand quantitative scrutiny.
Again, I agree. And thank you again for your substantive comments.

I have a question about Hifi Tuning fuses and directionality...

I've read in several places that Hifi Tuning fuses are supposed to be pointed "in the direction of current flow." Leaving aside for the moment that we're talking about Alternating Current, I've taken those instructions to mean that the "arrow" that appears on the fuse should be pointing "downstream" toward the equipment's power supply.

The problem is that the "arrow" looks like a diode symbol, and the "arrow" in a diode symbol customarily points AGAINST the direction of current flow. So it's totally unclear to me which way the folks at Hifi Tuning think is the "correct" way to install the fuse. Anyone know?

Bryon
On Page 4 of the Hi Fi Tuning data sheets, the following comment is made.

"The measurements done so far showed some measurable differences between fuse(s), but didn ́t explain completely the sonic differences between fuses."

Thus, there's no reason (for a skeptic) to hang his hat on either the resistance data or the noise data. It is actually a strawman argument, a logical fallacy, to protest that very low differences in noise and resistance proves, or is evidence that, differences in fuses and fuse directionality are not audible.

Cheers
Hi Bryon,

A diode will conduct current when the voltage at the terminal FROM which the arrow is pointing is greater (i.e., more positive, or less negative relative to some reference point) than the voltage at the terminal TO which the arrow is pointing. (And with most diodes that difference in voltage has to be at least several tenths of a volt before significant current will flow).

What makes it confusing, though, is that when conduction occurs the direction of electron flow is opposite to the direction of the arrow. That is because by convention the direction of current flow is defined as if positive charges were conducting the current (from + to -), even though electricity in metallic conductors is conducted by electrons which are negatively charged (flowing from - to +).

I have no idea, though, what HiFi-Tuning intends the arrow to signify, if anything.

Best,
-- Al
All that I am convinced of with the HiFi Tuning fuses is that the logo is always in the same direction. Of course, we really don't know which direction the arrow should go. If the hot lead goes into the circuit and the neutral comes out, presumably the arrow should go from the hot IEC lead into the component.

Mapman, yes data hopefully suggests that the null hypothesis is rejectable and thus that something is going on between the variables. The hypothesis is tentatively supported.

I don't think we are near to stating a hypothesis much less testing it properly. Rather we are not even engaged in assessing a hypothesis, we are dealing in an anecdotal world, such as wine tastes, etc. All that am saying is that it is ridiculous to a priori reject that any variable can be found that contributes to the sound of a fuse.