6L6WGC/5881 Tube choices for Amp

Dear Friends,
I have a small system in my office which punches out 40 Watts (sounds like 80 really) in pentode configuration.

I currently have the stock tubes on em - not bad, but i feel with the power tube change, things can go really sweet.

I have no knowledge on Tubes, Frankly on Ebay a quad matched pair
can range from 400-900.00 i do not know if its worth it to spend that
kind of money.

However,i am keen on changing the ECC83 to Brimar NOS.

Any help i can get is really appreciated!
thegoodarcher
I always liked green labeled Sylvania 6L6GC tubes when I had an amp that used the 6L6 type tubes.

For new tubes I say try the Sovtek.

http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/6l6-5881-kt66.html
For very helpful guidance seek out vendor Jim McShane who resides mainly at Audio Asylum and on the net as McShane Design. I have had excellent results with him and his voice is well respected on the Tube Asylum.
No financial incentive, just a happy customer etc.
BTW I don't know how much the Brimars cost but I can't blame you for your interest in them. I have finally stopped chasing small signal tubes (pre-amp tubes) because the prices for NOS and experimenting has gotten too expensive. The rich, full sound that the old Mullards have, is I understand, now found in the Gold Pin version of the Gold Lion re-issue 12AX7 equivalent (B759 I think.
Jedinite24 & Mechans,
First of all Merry Christmas! and Thank you for your responses.
Firstly, This is my Amp
http://www.synthesis.co.it/pdf/prime/Shine.pdf
Mean Little Amp! It put to shame a 300 Watt Integrated costing Twice as much and with 5 stars in Stereophile,Absolute Sound Etc!

Only Problem is manual biasing and no VU Meter, otherwise build and
sound is fantastic!

I do not mind using the Sylvania, but Doug's do not have matched sets?
My Maximum Budget for NOS Quad Matched Set is around 220.00 USD

Please do let me know if anyone that is credible and knowledgable has something in this range.

I mostly listen to a lot of native instruments like Sitars etc and a lot of
Jazz like Miles Davis,Dave Brubeck in the office, very little rock.

I know its unfair, to want to the midrange of the EL34 via the 6L6 - but i am unconsciously going for it - :)

Regarding the Brimar, i paid close to 180.00 for a matched pair, yes
i got carried away alright, but i wanted to see whats the fuss is about.
I did try a rca black pate 5751 in my older Rogue Cronus Magnum, i had
better resolution but there was loss in musicality, which i didn't really like.

I Bought the Brimar to try it out on the Shine, but later i might move it
to my main amplifier the Synthesis Metropolis 200 NYCi.

This is all the NOS tube experience i have, actually i do not mind
new tube as long as these are not bright or artificial.

I am going to google McShane Design now!

Looking to hear more from other people!
You may find that your choice of input and driver tubes will affect the sound more than that of the power tubes. When I had a SE amp using 6L6/5881 tubes I found that the new issue Tung-Sol 5881 tubes had a very nice sound. Worth checking out but results may vary according to appliction.
You may find that your choice of input and driver tubes will affect the sound more than that of the power tubes. When I had a SE amp using 6L6/5881 tubes I found that the new issue Tung-Sol 5881 tubes had a very nice sound. Worth checking out but results may vary according to application.