Gilmore Audio planars revealed

The Gilmore Audio speaker have finally been photographed for the world to see: Gilmore Audio

Disclaimer - I'm a dealer for the Gilmores, though at this point I'm still awaiting my first pair, as they haven't begun shipping yet.

The Gilmores push the edge of the envelope for planar technology in several areas. Innovations include an extremely thin (3 mil) Kapton diaphragm; bass extension to below 20 Hz; easy 8-ohm load combined with 92 dB efficiency (you can drive 'em with Atma-Sphere M-60's!); and maximum output level in the mid to upper 120's.

Designer Mark Gilmore is the webmaster of the Atma-Sphere Owner's Group website, as well as of the Sound Lab Owner's Group site. He's been around for a while, but this is his first commercial loudspeaker design (to the best of my knowledge).

I haven't heard 'em yet so can't comment on the sound (I know, that's all that really matters after all). I'm expecting a pair before the end of the year, and will post comments then.

Duke
audiokinesis
Twl, I think you're absolutely "right" about the "center channel" I'd opt for the "90 day trial" if possible ?
These are not planar speakers at all but hybrid speakers with moving coil woofers. Looks like a version of the Bohlender-Grabner planar element last seen in the Genesis and Carver speakers, though I could not swear to it. Nothing particularly new here. BTW do you own Glacier Audio, Kalispell MT, no? Are you at high altitude and, if so, how is the performance of true planars in your store?
Looks like a modern version of the Carver Amazing speakers to me. But the Carvers were very inefficient and needed a lot of power to play loud. Genesis used the Carver ribbons in some of its larger models. From what I hear, the Carver ribbons had irregular response in the high treble and that's why they were crossed over to super tweeters in the Genesis designs.

Time will tell if this new version can fulfill the ambitious promises of its proponents. There is some growing competition in this market right now (ribbon hybrids) so hitting the right price points could also factor heavily into this eqation.

I'd like to see shots of some of the other finishes and that center channel could be dressed up/down a bit too, come to think of it...
Hi Duke, yes I agree with Tom. Pretty aggressive marketing but it does catch the eye....and the model is "something" also. But kidding aside the open back is a question, isn't it? Anyway...I am interested in hearing your comments on this speaker compared to the Soundlab M-1's. I figure by the time this speaker is introduced and the bugs are out I will have my toy car (just got a Miata) paid off!! Then we can take a serious look at both of these speakers. BTW, I would love to fax over to you the floor plan of my living/listening room to see if the space is compatible for the M-1's.