12K new/used to spend

I am thinking of upgrading my speakers and can go up to 12K, new or used but less expensive is definitely appreciated. I need fairly high WAF plus some that would sound great placed less than 3 feet from the back wall and would prefer under 48" high. I listen to a variety of music accenting rock and classical/orchestral. My front end is NorthStar CD&DAC,Aragon 8008BB amp and 28K preamp. I have a large room. (see system for more detail)
I am thinking Wilson Sophia2 or B&W D series or Sonus Faber.
Any suggestions would be appreciated as to speakers I should consider and what you like about them. Also if used, is there a limit in years used when you need to be careful about degradation from drivers and crossovers. Thanks, Joe
128x128gammajo
Hbarrel Thank you for introducing me to this interesting speaker. It is visually lovely, indeed. Read some of the review artciles. And will see if I can arrange a listen. Do you own them?
Joe
Look for some Coincident Total Eclipse II. For the money used 8900.00 Hard to beat.
I'm still glad I chose Aerial 9's over Sophias. I saw a black pair on the 'Gon for around 6K. Mine are stunning in Rosewood and with the dedicated stands, were 10,200 new, full retail. I think they are spectacular.

Rest of gear?

Cary SLP-05 (the new top of the line)
Rowland 201 monoblocks
Modded Absolute Truth 777ES
LinnLP12 decked out
Kubala Sosna Emotion
etc....

So with 40,000 of stuff driving the speakers, I did a lot of shopping for my last speakers (for a while?), and I ended up with the Aerials over

Wilsons
Sonus F
Joseph Audio
Von Schweikert
Proac
Focal JM
Linn
Triad
Thiel

and a few others. Lots were great, but the Aerials played loud, soft, big, small, chamber, rock, etc... with equal aplomb. CHeck out a pair.

I am not affiliated with Aerial!

Rich
Wilson Benesch ACT speakers (current model). Extremely high-tech, extremely beautiful, and amazing sound. Used for anywhere from $9K-12K.

Excellent WAF and not LARGE speakers at all. They look amazing.

There were a couple of pairs just recently listed on 'Gon. They don't come along every day.

I absolutely love mine.

Great review from Stereophile, September 2004: http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthelement/904fifth/index.html

Regards,
George Ajazi