Acoustic Zen Adagio, How Good Are They?

Just read the glowing review in TAS. Has enyone heard these and if so is all the positive press justified?
128x128rja
Hi 2100,

yep guessed it from your handle.

I am going to change the caps in the 318B. Heard the stock version with the Adagio and it already had oodles of promise.

Frankly, those power tubes on the Almarro are real monsters and the sound that it produces belies the fact that it has *only* 18 watts of power.

The Almarro/Adagio combo is just very musical and warm, but with nice bass slam and control to boot. Something that im looking for. Infact, i prefer the Adagio over the newer Hyperions.
Hi 2100,
The 6C33 amps I am currently running were a bit on the warmer side in their original form. They are discontinued ASL KMP60 Fox mono blocs but I am now having the chassis OEM'ed for my by Joseph Lou of ASL. They are now being built in-house here in New York and voiced for a bit more presence and air. I use the SoniCap Platinum Teflon in these along with a rebuilt power supply which also helps to tighten up the bass.

With the Adagio speaker, many have commented they sound like 60 watt 300B's. I am very happy with this combination and when matched with the proper preamp (very linear tube units), the presentation is very well balanced and refined.
Merelyok, i am using Blackgate NX 4x 220uF in Super E paralleled config as input bypass caps. http://www.blackgate.jp/ebg6.htm
Coupling caps i am using 2x 0.22 and 2x 0.33 Mundorf Supremes. If you prefer a slightly warmer sound and not too particular about precise imaging, you may wish to try Auricaps. You can further fine tune the sound with the input 6SL7GT tube. Just remember that the Adagio is on the warm side, so if you are already using Auricaps, avoid stuff like the RCA 6SL7GT.

Response34 - I goggled and found your Bella Extreme 6C33C amp. I cannot wait to see if there are further developments in the SET scene and do 50-60W SET. SET just makes the Adagio sing with such beautiful emotions. :)
I heard them today, at the local dealer.
They are amazing!!!
Smooth, fully detailed, strong bass, great stage, pure magic!
On the down side, the mid seems a litle backward. and they look like %$#@...:-)
I certainly am going to audition them at my home.
Currently running Focal 926, which are pure garbage in comparison...
I don't agree they look %$@, even my wife quite likes them and she was an interior designer. I should say she "quite" likes them, probably just relieved I did'nt buy anything worse.