Pick your poison...2-channel or multi?

This post is just to get a general ideas among audiophiles and audio enthusiasts; to see who really likes what. Here's the catch!

If you were restricted to a budget of $10,000, and wanted to assemble a system, from start to finish, which format would you choose, 2 channel or mulichannel?

I'll go first and say multichannel. I've has to opportunity to hear a multichannel setup done right and can't see myself going back to 2-channel. I'm even taking my system posting down and will repost it as a multichannel system.

So...pick your poison! Which one will it be, 2-channel or multichannel.
cdwallace
"Cdwallace. why so cynical?"

Ecclectique I think you have your answer now :).

Jeff, smart system layout, no surround processor yet?, David99 is a smart guy, good guy to have helped you.
Cdw,

Hmm...unprocessed multichannel. Then it dawned on me. Are you a proponent of the Kimber 4.0 technique using Isomike recording? Is that your dogma, your specific MC bliss?

Phil
UUUUUHHHmmm.............NO! Try again! Keep "dawning" and when all else fails...refer to you mystical chipmunk #7!
This has been interesting,

A SET guy who doesn't understand the limitations of his amplifiers, and accuses someone else of "dogma"...LOL!!!Black kettle calling someone something...right?

So I'm curious, Phil, can you get me any info like I see in Stereophile on your amplifiers? Talk, talk doesn't help. What do you think the chances are that they actually put out their rated power? 50%?

http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/740/index11.html
http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/351/index6.html

So which one looks like yours? If you like distortion you got the right amplifiers! Bandwidth is still limited on your amplifiers but not as important as some other items we see in the Stereophile battery of measurements.

"So...you don't like Sonus Faber huh? Perhaps you never heard them with the right amp."

Do they make an amp to fix all that is broken? Admittedly the Cremona is a more complete design than the pathetic Amati. But when I can get better audio performance from $3000 speakers what is the point? It be nice to hear someone speak on a Sonus speaker that doesn't sound like
they have a swollen tongue.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/304sonus/index3.html
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/506sf/index3.html

"Whether you think a Manger is a fully-realized speaker is up to you. It wasn't good enough for me."

I'm quite certain you didn't hear it with the correct amplifier.

"Go test an MC1201."

They did for us!!....and you're hearing seems to be failing you. I don't blame you though 'cause when you own a real good surround system with peerless fidelity and tone like myself and others, you simply can hear these details so much clearer. I think its the center channel that makes it so revealing. I know that looks like a solid square wave to a tube guy but it's not for the rest of us.

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/428/index7.html

"My triode amps are Audion Golden Dream and Black Shadow, which only a brief search here would have revealed to you. Also ultrasonic, into a resistive load, dynamically"

Phil, this bandwidth you're hung on has nothing to do with my comments about the characteristic highs in your system. 34khz is hardly sky high bandwidth, you certainly may want to clean the leaves out of the intakes after every flight.

"Conclusively 2C, if you know what you're doing and spend the money appropriately. "

Not with the equipment you've been suggesting....there's nothing conclusive about it except a resounding defeat for legacy two channel system. I've done it many times.

So you really don't know the Denon DL103D -- D, as in elliptical stylus version, It's a full rich cartridge. I did not imply that it was defective or bad (or that any of your equipment is bad) but its slightly rich tendency is
simply adding to all the other fixed Eq you have applied to your system to take the edge off the highs. I couldn't have said it any better.

"Measurement is not reliable as a full-scope indicator of what you'll experience in the complex acoustic domain."

Kid yourself all you want, someone who measures makes strides to dissecting what's happening in the complex acoustic domain. Certainly better than sitting back and guessing wrong all the time. Don't you think?

"I have enough experience with and knowledge of the long sweep of audio history with respect to putting reproduced music in the home to know in that context that in 15 years, maybe 10, you will not be a MC user and you will
recall this minor exchange as anticipating your return to 2C for all the reasons I've listed."

Don't hold your breathe, he's already way ahead of you in knowledge and education. What's experience when you're just feeling around in the dark? I bought a map, I've got direction. Certainly a luxury you didn't have 3
years into the hobby.

"but they do indicate the direction of his notions of tonal fidelity."

You don't know squat about Bob Stuart's notions. Just fabricating stuff. Let me tell you companies like Sonus Faber and their advanced design and sound quality have more to do with the way his speakers sound than his
notions of Fidelity.

"It's very easy to get anchored in definitive criteria for determining fidelity if you're willing."

Well Phil you seem pretty definite on your version of fidelity, too bad it doesn't jive with actual definition. Even had that convincing no crossover rap flowing like a river. Alas, as I pointed out before, you betray yourself at every turn. You can have seven drivers or 2 drivers per speaker but a MC system is subverted by two drivers and those destructive crossovers. The litany of excuses does little to persuade. Your spinning the story and finding a new path to slip down does not go unnoticed. Your dismissal of facts/ measurements, not inspirational to ones confidence that you fully understand what you're saying.