What's the greatest bargain in SET these days?

Hi, Gang,
I response to my recent review of the Reference 3A De Capo BE speaker, someone wrote that if you really want to hear them sing, you should try them with a SET amp, or words to that effect.
That got me thinking. The De Capo's are 92 db efficient, which (correct me if I'm wrong) seems kind of borderline for low-power SET amps.
In any event, right now I'm running mine with a pair of Manley Mahi mono-blocks. They are switchable from triode (20 watts) to "ultra linear" (40 watts). I run them in triode all the time, and in my room, the volume knob almost never goes past 9 o'clock; more would just be too loud.
All that said, what do you guys think of running the De Capo's with a SET amp? And if I did, what's the best bargain in SET's these days?
Thanks!
rebbi
Rebbi,
Enjoy the kit1. I borrowed a kit 1 a few years back and that was what ultimately pushed me toward a 300b amp of my own. I remember the day very well, it took about 5 minutes of listening to that amp to know that was the direction I wanted to go.. Congrats!!
Jet.
Charles

I have been visiting China for almost 15 years, and your comment is spot-on. Not everyone, of course; and there is the problem. But Beijing has gone from a city of bicycles to a city of American and German cars. My many students have a standard of living no different from their US counterparts.
Good choice. Sounds like a fun project ahead!

I built many a kit as a kid. Its the best way to truly understand how things work and a little education always goes a long way.
Hi Rebbi,
Congratulations on your choice. A few months ago, I took delivery of a 10th Anniversary Kit One which I elected to have assembled by Digital Pete, who is officially sanctioned by ANK.
I think that you will be very happy. I have followed this thread off and on, but have been busy the last few days and missed some details. I see that you said upgraded capacitors...what brand would that be? I know Brian suggested Vcaps to me, but I went with recommendations from Charles and others here, and sent him 4 Jupiter Copper caps. Four of them cost about $260.
I also suggest that if it fits into your budget, you might upgrade the passive volume attenuator from the Alps model to the Khozmo, which they have available. It makes a difference.
I do not pretend to know much of anything about tubes, so I take advice from these forums and experts like Andy from Vintage Tube Services, and he advised me that the 300b tubes that come with it (Electro Harmonix) don't really sound bad at all, but that the 2 5687 tubes are important sonically. He suggested as the best replacement of the supplied GE NOS tubes (one of which already went microphonic on me and had to be replaced) would be Tung Sol 5687 skinny plates.
Eventually, I want to upgrade every tube, but it's not possible right now.
Anyway, coming from solid state McIntosh, and a few flirtations with push pull tubes, I am very happy with the sound. More organic and pure, quiet...yes, quiet! Easier to understand interplay of instruments, and, compared to what I am used to, more ambience where it exists in the recording. I guess like anything else, it's hard to describe an experience, but I am happy that I made the change, and I wish you luck.
Brian is really good to work with as well.