Speaker disappearing act?

There's new $25k per pair speaker, that according to everyone who matters, disappears? I've heard this disappearing act before, but what, if any does it have to do with the quality of the sound? If you're blind, or close your eyes when you listen to music, does that eliminate the need for a total disappearing act? I know what they mean by speakers "disappearing" but can it be overkill in the descriptive sense, considering there are oodles of other factors that are important in describing a speaker/quality of sound. Have you ever listened to a pair of speakers that are drop dead amazing, but when you open your eyes they may not be the purest "disappearing" act you thought? Does that matter?
128x128warrenh
Cables, amps and sources also contribute to the invisible speaker! It is result of great imaging and a large soundstage.
I had some very well regarded speakers with mid-fi equipment . The speakers did indeed disappear . The soundstage was the best that I have heard . Every musician had their own place and space , they were all over my back and side walls . If the software provided that , it was like sitting in the 5th row .
But , I did not like the sound of the system as it did not have any heart !
My current system sounds wonderful but , I think due to the setup , does not have anywhere near the soundstage of the other one .
I have to agree with Aball on this one .
Most audiophiles mean "speaker disappearing" in a virtual sense, however, as I will explain, there is actually a way to make speakers REALLY disappear. If you are interested to learn how to do this then read on...

The sense you have of speaker location is very often a combined effect of baffle edge diffraction and driver dispersion. Consider that the acoustic wave will fold around the edge of the speaker box and at this point will produce some diffraction; imagine a wave flowing along a river that empties into a larger harbour => the wave suddenly loses energy as it spreads out around the mouth. An acoustic wave does the same as it goes from a "half-space", the space in front of the speaker baffle, to "whole-space' as it encounters unrestricted space beyond the edges of the speaker box.

Generally a very small box or tall narrow speaker will disappear better than a larger box speaker because the diffraction, although severe in this case, will occur very close to the primary sound and becomes less distinguishable. (Bose cube speakers use this technique to good effect, as does Gallo) A triangular shaped baffle can sometimes help in a big box speaker, furthermore, big box speakers can have the mid and tweeter drivers placed off centre in order to reduce the audibility of edge diffraction. The worst cases of edge diffraction leave one with a "claustrophobic" impression of the sound....a good design will sound "open" sometimes described as the "disappearing act".

Assuming good high end speakers all have drivers with excellent dispersion then the box shape, size and smoothness of corners etc. becomes the most significant factor. (Although a less dispersive driver can reduce edge diffraction effects by focussing more energy straight in front, this creates other serious problems such as a very narrow sweet spot and a rather unnatural sound - generally narrow dispersion speakers are rare at the high end...although Dunlavvy SC IVs are a famous example)

The big problem with using very small or narrow "disappearing" speakers is that they employ small drivers => the trade off is higher distortion (particularly in the bass and lower mid), poor dynamics, and poor performance at higher (live music) volume levels. However, for nearfield listening at close range (most domestic situations) this design is clearly the most popular in the industry today.

Fortunately there is a solution to "disappearing act" in a big box speaker => soffit mount the big speakers in to a wall. This completely eliminates the edge diffraction problem altogether (note that even small narrow speakers still have edge diffraction problems even if these are not as intrusive as with their bigger bretheren). To understand this you probably need to experience it first hand and unfortunately this is not something you will find on a Hi-FI show room floor. However, a web search and perusal of almost any high end studio's main monitor installations will confirm that soffit mounting is a popular solution for big box speaker installations. (Pros want the best dynamics and best accuracy at live music levels but without any edge diffraction problems.) To see that this is true you only need to think about it. A soffit mounted speaker has physically DISAPPEARED, as there is only a wall left with drivers in it! A soffit mount is no imitation of the speaker "disappearing act" through careful baffle/box design....it simply is no speaker at all or an "infinite speaker" if you like. Only the diffraction and dispersion of the drivers themselves remains.
My speakers not only disappear they are also very holographic. The down side is that when playing a very fine LP things can get out of hand. The other night I was playing the new Allison Krauss Live LP. Not only did the speakers disappear but the whole stereo system as well. Then the band started to take shape in the room, it was if I was at a live concert. It was great for awhile, then the album ended and the band drank all my beer! I had a real chore cleaning the place up the next morning as well. I'm going to have to change cables or something to keep these people out of my house or I'm going to go bankrupt, musicians drink a lot of beer.
I think that for many of us, the goal we set for our equipment is to have it sound as little like equipment as possible. A speaker calling attention to itself by saying "Yo, I'm right here, dummy" will surely be perceived as a mechanical piece of audio equipment and will not further the "deception" that we're after.

Gotta agree w/ S7