SF Extrema,Few q

Hi there,

I read a lot about this speaker ,a lot of people saying its the best speaker ever,but also mention that it really hard to "push" and if i buy it i need very expensive amp and source.
I want to know why it have to be that expensive ,Is there strong AMP that can work good with the EXTREMA without being very expensive (for me >3K its expensive)?
Nuforce,CI Audio and etc arent expensive and i heard they can kick!
Is anybody know how this speaker work with CLASS D ?amplication?I read that tube isn't good for this speaker.

for Those who have/had it:
What do u think about this speaker copmaring new speaker around the 5K?is it good invesment?after all the speaker old (14years).
Thanx a lot!
scubidubi
Actually if you want a cheap amp under a 1000 used that can definitely power the Extremas.
The Citation 7.1 4-ch amplifier is a great choice.
The key is to bridge the amp to 2 channels.
When you bridge the amp to 2 channels its 450 watts.
This is one high current amp that sounds sweet.
Scubidubi, if cost really is that big a factor, then maybe you should delay your purchase of the Extremas and continue to save until you have more flexibility in what you can purchase. It's not as if used Extremas won't be available anytime in the near future.

For what it's worth, I auditioned the Extremas with the Meridian monos and while I was very impressed I ultimately did not warm to the sound. It was very dynamic, detailed, spacious, etc., but it wasn't enjoyable. Although they sound different it's the same reaction I have when listening to certain Wilson Watt/Puppy combos. I respect them, but I don't love them. By comparison I thought the Cremonas were wonderfully satisfying. YMMV.

Good luck!
what's with all this talk about WATTS?? are we talking about the same speaker?? SUMIKO at the stereophile show used an audio research solid state stereo amp; i believe it put out 200 watts per channel. certainly no more than that. i will admit that they also used an SME-30 turntable which is considered one of the best in the world. they also used a copeland tube preamp, and ocos wire. but by no means do you need mega-watt amps to drive these speakers. you would need a QUALITY amp however. as dave wilson would say, you can drive the WAMM'S (gigantic four-cabinet array) with 50-100 watts as long as the amp has a reputation for sounding like music. i'm no wilson audio nut, but this is true. now, apogee's were known for needing tremendous power into 2 ohms, and i would never argue about that (due to their ribbon technology). anyway, i do NOT recommend amplifiers, as this is a personal choice. but if you like the extremas, i do too. the end.
Hi People - I open this thread about the extrema.
I just sold my speakers and I'm willing to decide ,but need some help here.
Well...Another pair of speaker come in mind now...
The CREMONA , I'd like to know what u thinking about it.
I know the extrema is totaly diff but still can u tell me what u think about it,I just guessing its in the same level of price right?(I dunnu what's for the Cremona)

Thanx people