Class D at low volume

Hi,

How do class D amps behave at low volume levels?  My question is general rather than related to a particular amp.  I know there are exceptions, but as a rule, SET’s and class A SS excel at low volume.  What about class D?  Is low volume performance of class D predetermined, all else being equal? Do class D amps have a comfort zone?  Do they distort more at low volume or is it uniform throughout?  For the purpose of this question I am only referring to analog input amps and not the ones that take in PCM (e.g. NAD M2).

The second part of my question is as follows.  I’m interested in some higher end commercial class D amps from the likes of lab.gruppen, powersoft, mc2, XTA, etc. due to their network-ability as in, I can control them, DSP them, and stream digital, all via RJ45, at the same time dispensing with all the extra boxes and cables.  But, they are all of very high power from 100‘s to 1000‘s of watts.  Does this mean that in a domestic setting at low volume they operate much closer to their noise floor or is this different with class D?

Thanks
serge_s
lots of great thought in this forum discussing class d amplifiers, being an audiophile since 1970 , and owning very expensive gear , its nice to purchase a product at a very very resonable price , and make magic , the wyetech ruby monoblocks list for approx $25000, plus ive installed 1942 rca 211 radiotron tubes , ( took out stock tubes as well as input tubes)AT an additional $3300 , plus upgraded power cords , but thats the audiophile journey , this i know , but now and then its nice to get a breath of fresh air ,without getting a second mortgage. guys thanks for all your input very much appreciated
Tim: thanks for getting off topic. This thread is educational for me and hopefully for many others as well.

Thanks for your comments folks! Please keep the discussion going.
Serge,

I was looking at your initial thread posting again and you stated you're considering Lab.gruppen, Powersoft, XTL and others. These are pro amps used for large venues and not intended for home audio.

I apologize that I didn't read your original post closely enough. However, all of my replies, as well as most replies from others, were based on the assumption you were looking for an amp for your home audio system.

I've never used pro amps and have no useful knowledge about them. The info and impressions about class D amps was based solely on my experiences and knowledge of home audio class D amps and may not be applicable to the pro audio class D amps you mentioned.

I think you need to clarify exactly what purpose these amps are intended for.

Audiogon is a site devoted to home audio, not pro audio environments that are used in clubs, concert halls and auditoriums.

If you are interested in pro audio amps, I would suggest posting your question on a forum devoted to such.

All of my replies, and I think most if not all of the other replies on this thread, were given from the perspective of home audio and therefore should be disregarded.

Sorry for the confusion,
Tim

When I want a nice listening session, the gear is warmed up already but not my ears.
I like to listen at a lower level for a little while as my ears get acclimated (warmed up too I suppose :) )

I`ve been noticing that I`m listening much longer at the lower level before I actually come to realize it...and the remote is sitting right next to me ! This Class D Audio 470 sounds great across the board no matter what volume and that`s a first for me !!
Been traveling w/o computer. Upon return I have found this to be a very interesting and educational thread! Thanks to everyone.