Best bookshelf monitor under $1000 new or used.

Taking a member's advice and starting a new thread.

I need help picking my first set of speakers and amp!

Right now I'm just running lossless music out of my computer but eventually I would like to get a good player and turntable. So I will need speakers and and amp that will work well with all three of these.

Not really sure at this point what kind of sound I prefer, but I just want something that will blow my mind in quality either way.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Later,
Nick
nickclarson
As far as new "bookshelf monitor" speakers go, I wouldn't buy without at least listening to a pair of NHT Classic Model 3's.

About the only 3-way in this category, and note the aversion to parallel sides to avoid standing waves.

3-ways have advantages in power handling and more uniform dispersion because each driver gets to operate in a more ideal frequency range for its best bandwidth, dynamic range, and dispersion. And in spite of having two crossovers, transparency is evidently not a problem with this speaker.
The Alon Petite was one of my favorite monitors in the under $1000 category too - very open sounding.
Definitely Alon Petite, incredible voice, sound stage and image. Beats my SF Concertinos and even my Proac (Flr Std). Just need to tame the highs depending on the gears you use.
A complete system:
AAD2001 $1400used
Parasound Halo A21 $1400used
Benchmark usb dac/preamp/headphone amp - $1000used

Small system with big sound.
You will be floored.

Mariusz