A Perennial Debate For Which I Seek Help

Wire, Terminations, Dielectric, Solder, in summary, the linkages in our systems, the terminals in the path. Doubting your cabling can only lead to paranoia, and thus, fearing the snub of fellow audiophiles, you shun the Tuesday night shootouts, the gatherings that once made Tuesdays better than Fridays. Please, don't shun the shootout, I know of no gathering more intoxicating. They remind us we are alive and human, no mere beast in search of flesh and sustinance alone.

My Situation - I recently had a pair of speakers upgraded with new caps, chokes, posts, wire, etc... Not until I went to install the reworked crossovers, however, did I realize how cheap the connection was at the drivers. The woofer has a small terminal board mounted on the basket where the lead wires attach to two stamped rivets. The rivets and brackets are both loose. These clips are followed by a 3" wire to the woofer, some sort of tin-coated cotton or wiring of similar texture and tensility.

As for the tweeter, one of the even smaller pins used for the lead wires snapped off. I could try to solder it back on, yet more fundamentally, with all the money spent on speaker cables, IC's, perhaps hundreds on binding posts alone, aren't these shoddy driver terminations, hidden inside the cabinet, an egregiously weak link in the chain, or am I missing something specific about this particular connection? Any insight is truly appreciated.
nycwine1
It helps to remember that by the time the signal gets to the speakers, it has gone through a number of systems, interconnects, processing, and perhaps massaging it as well. Whether that is good or not for the signal is a matter of choice.
For an analogy, wine by the time it gets to the barrel to age, has gone through a number of steps. The barrel like the wire inside the speaker can be anything. It all adds or subtracts from the future taste just as the inside wire adds or subtracts from the final effect that we call sound and more hopefully music.
What works for one grape or combination will not work for another despite what some wine makers say, based on my experience, being based in the Sonoma-Napa region, a lot gets tasted and toured.
Same for wire, some cabling works great for some gear and not for others. If it were all simply plug and play this would not be a hobby so much as child' play, then again...
It helps to remember that by the time the signal gets to the speakers, it has gone through a number of systems, interconnects, processing, and perhaps massaging it as well. Whether that is good or not for the signal is a matter of choice, I like massages myself.
For an analogy, wine by the time it gets to the barrel to age, has gone through a number of steps. The barrel like the wire inside the speaker can be anything. It all adds or subtracts from the future taste just as the inside wire adds or subtracts from the final effect that we call sound and more hopefully music.
What works for one grape or combination will not work for another despite what some wine makers say, based on my experience, being based in the Sonoma-Napa region, a lot gets tasted and toured.
Same for wire, some cabling works great for some gear and not for others. If it were all simply plug and play this would not be a hobby so much as child' play, then again...
Uru975, Yes, I concur; you have stated in a more artistic fashion the importance and influence of the system.
I had some planar speakers that I bought in the late 80's. After a few years the ribbons went bad and I bought a replacement set and changed them out myself. I was shocked at the low quality wiring in the crossovers and to the drivers. I replaced all of that wiring, soldered some roll film caps into the networks and yielded a very satisfying improvement- good change- in the sound of my speakers. Since then, I have always checked the internals of my speakers and I am pleased to see that high end manufactures (at least on my brand) have stepped up to the expections of us demanding lot.

Now, my other item of pondering is this: House wiring is plain old solid copper wire with big flat blades at the plugs and at the circuit breaker. So how does some expensive 1 meter piece of wiring between the wall and the amp/preamp/source make a difference? Yes, I am a believer and user of expensive interconnects and speaker cables, but I just cannot bring myself to spend the money and try high priced power cords. I have a dedicated breaker to help with isolation and voltage droop as well as a power conditioner. Am I really missing something? If so, how?
Tony, two words: Do it. You won't believe what you can improve with the sound with some good PCs. You'll kick yourself for not doing it much sooner. If you're leery buy them used here and have at it.

I will tell you this; Power cords were the last of the cables to be "well received" by me. I also was hesitant to believe that they would provide such an important link. They do. In fact, I am becoming convinced with time that they are as important as speaker cables and ICs.

Anyone who has a high end rig and is using stock cords is choking their rig's performance.

You are missing something important. I don't have all the answers as to how, but when you try it you will very likely hear it easily. One explanation is to consider a length of chain. If one link is composed of plastic, then the chain can be compromised if stressed. Now consider that the chain (for most practical purposes) in audio begins at the outlet, NOT the first component! If that first link (and other links leading from the wall) are weak, then the system will suffer.

Sure, someone can rebut the illustration, but I tell you this directly. Your rig IS good enough to hear the differences easily. You should be able to hear vivid, immediate, very significant changes with power cords. Likely you could hear it even if changing out only one, but multiples will very significantly change the sound. You will likely love it! So, go with the brand of cabling you like, and...

DO IT! :)