RMAF 2008 - Your impressions,...

I know there's still few hours to go but I was wondering what my fellow Audiogoners think of RMAF 2008. What equipment left great impression, even what was a bit of a let down...As for me, it was my first year and my time was very limited, but I have to point out Emerald Physics for their CS1 and CS2, which are great speakers, selling for much less (esp. CS2) than you would think. They sound a bit different than what most of us are used to due to their unique design. Unfortunately their need for two amps make it little difficult to integrate them in my system, otherwise they'd be on top of my list. I also have to mention AV123 and GR-Research whose X-static speakers must be one of the best bargains on the market (I know, we all have heard it before...), anybody looking for a $1000 dollar speakers (and even much more) need to give these a listen.
branislav
Hey Dcstep,

I believe that Gawdbless found the $15,000.00 price for the PD player on your System page. You do have it listed for the above-mentioned amount...maybe you should revise the price posted on your System page. If everyone is paying no more than $10,000.00 (anybody less?) for the PD, then the $15,000.00 is not the list price. Just an obvious marketing scheme to imply a sense of urgency that appears to be misplaced. You know, lets mark it up so we can appear to offer a discount.
Gawdbless,

where did you get Lindfield from?

Impulse Electronics used to be in Lindfield, Sussex. I did some digging and it seems they are in Cornwall now (Aspara Acoustics). Sorry, my bad.

got the older TD-8 kit (in storage), always wanted to play drums (to amuse ones self with headphones of course

Good for you! It is a lot of fun but do take lessons as you need to have a goal each week otherwise you simply won't progress. The TD-9 has very good sound. Although not nearly as dynamic as the real thing but pretty good for an electronic set - darn realistic in sound. No positional sensing so I am also considering a TD-12 or TD 20 one day in the future. (Actually I many wait to see if Roland upgrade the rest of their line - the TD-9 only just came out so perhaps in a year or two a new TD-12 will appear?) The mesh pads are simply brilliant - great feel. I use the famous sportcasters headphones and they work great - Seinheiser HD 25 pro. Not quite as nice sound as my trusty AKG 240 headphones but you really need a bit of acoustic isolation when playing electronic drums and as you may have guessed - these headphones are the most dynamic I could find! (Yes my taste for dynamics is insatiable!)
I thought the Kaiser speakers had great potential, but the room they were in was an echo chamber. I could hear my own voice echo even at normal speech levels.

Rooms I liked in no particular order.

Oswald Mills
Soundlab
Classic Audio Reproductions in the large room
Lansche
YG Acoustics large room
Scaena
Von Schweikert VR9 and Unifield 3
Wilson Bensch
Vienna Acoustics The Voice
Merlin-Joule

I liked the Acapella Trios but they were a little shouty.
Sarcher30, did you mean Vienna Acoustic "Die Muzik" or "The Music" instead of "The Voice"?

Dave