Sub-woofer/ Source for MAgnepan MG 1.6s

I just bought myself MG 1.6 QRs which I drive using Plinius 8150. To complete my setup, I am looking for a sub woofer to complement the 1.6s. I dont want to spend too much and reasonable price is a criteria.

Also I want recommendations for a reasonably priced entry level LP Player and a CD Player preferably one that plays DVD-Audio/ SACD.

Please help with recommendations.

thx.
snaudio
what wire are you using? Your 8150 is a nice amp and should compliment the 1.6 nicely. I do not mean to be pushy, it is just that when I had 1.6s I tried several amps and never felt like the bass was missing anything.

Of course I like a simple set up to begin with so I am biased.
Greetings,
There is nothing wrong in desiring a sub to compliment your speakers. A decent sub can put out bass that most speakers can't touch and will definately give you more enjoyment when playing rock. No need to try and get used to flat sounding bass. Some other subs to look into are ones from Hsu and SVS. A more recent company called Epik, has a line of subs getting great reviews over at AVSforum.com, where you will find a forum devoted to subwoofers. As far as a universal player is concerned, look into the Oppo 980. it plays everything you want and costs around $200 dollars.
Thanks Shiva. Will check out Epik.

Hi Philojet - I have audioquest type 4 for my speaker wires and use monster RCA cables to connect my pioneer cd player to the plinius.

thx.
I tend to agree that the bass on the 1.6's is pretty good without a sub. It is important to move them out from the back walls in order to avoid cancellation of the lower frequencies. If you have unavoidable room placement issues a sub might be the only answer for deficient bass. If you go with a sub, go for one that is noted for tight, fast, bass response in order to emulate the Maggies. Also, you can do better than the AQ-4's. I used AQ-4's biwired, and they were OK, but I replaced them with Signal Silver Resolution and found them to be much less grainy than the AQ's. If it were me, I'd replace the wires and move the speakers out a couple more feet from the back wall and see what you have before going with a sub.
With my three MG1.6 front speakers I have three elaborate custom design subwoofer systems, but, to tell the truth bass extension is not the main reason. For most music the MG1.6 is just fine without a SW.

My system has an electronic crossover with easily-adjustable crossover frequency(think knob), and my SW systems are happy up to 400 Hz or so. For some kinds of music, (think loud) the cone drivers of the SW systems provide an impact that the Maggies lack. I use the crossover frequency control to seamlessly transition from cone drivers to planars. Best of both worlds!

My interest is classical music, but I suspect that rock would benefit from cones in the SW and low bass range. After all, in a live concert aren't you listening to a bunch of 18" cone drivers?