Speakers for bad rock recordings

I'm kind of stuck, my music collection is about 90% average and bad recordings, some very bad. I listen to a lot of rock, metal and punk. I live in an apartment too, which means I want them to be able to sound good at moderately low listening volume. I also like 'live' sounding speakers like my Klipsch's, but they do create a alot of fatigue.

I really like the way my Grado SR80's make even my worst metal recording sound good, so I was thinking maybe there's a speaker that's similar? Right now my amp is a Onkyo A-9555, which is neutral sounding and has about 85 real wpc.

I can only afford to spend about $600, maybe a little more if I have to.
mstapletn

Doubtless, anything good will cure any current ills further upstream.

So I tend to agree with the nod to another power source like the 'int' mentinoed previously.

Another thought I have is perhaps an easier speaker to listen to/with. Something in the 84db - 86db range. Some older Phase Techs could work well and what I use in another rig to listen to just such things with myself.

The PC series is the one to look into.

Then too, there are headphones... for much less too.
Epicure 20's.. love em! GOOD LUCK trying to find a pair!

I would say the EARLY original Advent speaker.. very easy to listen to, definitely NOT "tipped up"... easy to drive, nice bass, alot of them still around on ebay, and cheap!
I would suggest older Spendors, at that price range, maybe the sp1's, I had a pair of SP1/2e's and they made everything sound good and give a bit of a buffer on the less then perfect recordings.
I may receive death threats for this, but you might consider inserting an equalizer into your system. I would assume the Onkyo amp has a tape loop, making this possible. I have a Behringer T1951 parametric EQ on a tape loop. As long as a recording is listenable, I leave it out of the signal chain. But for those times when my taste in music and the record producer's lack thereof are in conflict, a slight reduction in the brightness range, 4-8kHz, coupled with a very subtle boost below 60Hz can often make the recording listenable, if not hifi.

My Behringer is a good choice, but I am not sure it is still in production. It also has a steep learning curve because of its flexibility. Check musician retailers like Guitar Center for availability. A less complicated route would be to pick up a graphic EQ on a site like this or that other auction site. I would look for at least ten bands per channel (12 or 14 is better), electronic level controls (these are not as subject to dust and wear-and-tear as mechanical sliders are), and the ability to store several curves in memory. The brands I like when looking at used consumer EQ units are Kenwood (I own a GE-7020 for recording), ADC, BSR and DBX. There are plenty available, just make sure you get one in top condition, as these companies aren't really around anymore to supply parts for repair (I had to replace both an ADC and a Kenwood that went bad on me). If you shop carefully, you should be able to spend less than $100, perhaps much less, for a good EQ. Get decent cables (you'll need two pairs), and you're all set.