Entry level CDP

In the Audiogon classifieds are a Rega Planet, NAD C542 BEE, and a Musical Fidelity E624. If price means much, then the NAD must have the most use, followed by the Rega. Which one will give the best overall performance with rock, classical, and jazz? Which one will still be going strong years from now? Thanks
garn509

Garn509

If as you say, there are two dealers in your area that together sell NAD, MH, and Marantz…

sheeshhh.

Ask to take one home for a weekend, provided it’s run in already, and see for yourself, then another, then another! Then buy one.

That dog probably ain’t going to hunt for you though, right? No home demos? No returns either?

Thems’ your options for first hand testing…. Or you can mule in your other pieces to the dealer and try that deal.

Uh oh… you wanna buy used, not new. Right? So OK… shoot me.

Then it’s just which type of chocolate you want.

As for multi format plaers mentioned here…. I have two. Both opo’s. just because they play more than SACD & CDs, doesn’t mean you have to put those types of discs into it. Nor does it mean that those disc players which play ONLY CD & or SACD, are better.

I had a $3K Sony CDP a while back. Got the $175 oppo. The Sony was better indeed. How much? Not a lot. New tech? probably. The 980 oppo came likely to about 85% maybe 90% of the Sony’s performance level…. Give or take a tad.

Build quality? Sony. Hands down! Quality pieces do last and are great means to ends. Digital changes mighty fast though.

I’d take that $300 and get a used 980 for about $100. Save up another couple bills and find me a Bel Canto DAC 1 or the like and do it.

For a vivid CDP… a strong voiced box, Sony is really tuff to beat. I’ve read here though that the Regga’s are strong, NAD to me is simply a value item with performance over it’s head usually. An over achiever. Marantz might be the more polite sounding of the bunch. Music hall?? Beats me completely, I’m no help there.

If you’ve a NAD INT… GET THE NAD. IF NOT, GET THE LATEST VER OF THE REGGA.

When ya find out you don’t like which ever, sell it and buy the other one and increase your feedback in the doing!

That was easy huh?
look here...

http://www.avguide.com/buyers-guide/the-absolute-soundhi-fi-guide-disc-players-dacs-music-servers

should help confuse things a bit more.
Actually 3 audiophile stores. Here they are --
1.Moon Audio, Holly springs, NC. www.moon-audio.com
2.Serious Hi Fi, Raleigh, NC. No website, works from house, Brit and Canadian stuff -- Nottingham, NAD, Naim, PSB, KEF, etc
2. Audio Advice, Raleigh, www.audioadvice.com. Has Rotel, but Rotel seems to have upriced without justification.
Only looking for single disc players, btw
Loomis-- I can't find any info on the Music Fidelity's CD format compatibility. MP3, MP4, and WAM is a must, without fussiness.