Subwoofers - Grille off or on?

I know speakers always sound best with the grilles off. Does this apply for subs too, or does it not matter?
nemesis1218
Statements that use the word "always" without qualification are always wrong. :)

-- Al
You know, before I joined this forum I had no idea of the power other people appear to think I possess. I had previously regarded myself as unquestionably the worlds foremost authority on my own opinion. When I make a statement like " I have never heard a speaker that sounded better with the grills on" I am recounting my own experience, not making existential statements about the nature of the universe. Some of you out there appear to think that such a statement, if uncorrected, will do damage to the tender minds of the less experienced. Raul recently accused me of ignorantly misleading the uninformed by disagreeing with him about the relative merits of two tonearms. Unlike him, I do not consider myself a GURU and feel free to express myself with the expectation that readers will regard such utterances not as expressions of the REVEALED TRUTH but simply as the current thinking of a very fallible audiophile. So chill out , my opinions are mine alone and binding on no one else whatsoever.
Yes, no grills when listening. I know, WAF is at play, so put them on when not playing them. If you have cats, it is another story.