Merlins VSM placement question

Hi all,
I currently own a pair of VSM-MXe for a year now - Very happy with them after trying different front-end and preamp/amp
Despite swapping gear in/out, I notice that the soundstage is always somewhat narrow, too focus at middle (same plan with speaker).
My room is 23ft long x 16ft wide x 10ft high
Speakers are 7ft apart and 5ft from front wall (16ftwide wall). Listening seat is 7.5ft from speakers plan
The whole set up is 1.5ft off to the right of center axis of the room (due to door access)

I followed exact Bobby's instruction including toe-in angle using included tool

My question is did you're Merlins' owners followed exact set up instruction from Bobby, regardless of your room's dimension ? What's your placement dimension?

I want wider and deeper sound stage, not too forward
I have a feeling if I move apart extra 1ft between speakers, or set up the toe-in 3ft behind the seat, I would change the sound stage as I wanted

I have Jim Smith's Get Better Sound with me, but I'm kinda lazy unless I can see if it's worth the sweat

PS: I have tried Cary all-the-way (SLP05+CAD120S+306/200) with CGRs, and Sony 5400ES + ARS Sonum - with same stage sound
Please advice
Thanks
Thuan
128x128thuan98
Another approach is to buy a couple of sets of "speaker coasters," or "floor discs." They're essentially stainless steel or brass discs with a dimple in the top to fit the speaker spike tip
into. You can buy fancy ones that are more expensive, or there's a guy on eBay who sells a set of 8 for something like 20 dollars. They protect
my wood floors and make it much easier to move my speakers and stands
around.
t, i would try them a bit farther apart maybe a foot or so. you may be getting some reflecxtion in the room. can you describe the room please? firing the speakers from a draped wall?
did you not do some tube rolling in the fila?
i would put the original tubes back in and see if that sounds better.
bobby
Are you able to sit with your head 9ft from the speakers? Well, if anyone is going to figure it out, it is going to be Bobby. I use Acoustimac absorbtion panels on the side walls (and bass traps in the rear) to deal with reflections - they are cheap and effective (becuase they are made for studios not audiphiles)and the will undoubtedly helpo if you have any side reflection issues. My sound stage, using B's placement recommendations, is wide of the speakers and a deep soundstage behind the plane of the speaker.
I second the idea of purchasing the brass disc floor protectors, and I'll add the suggestion of applying adhesive backed felt discs to the bottom of the brass discs to facilitate sliding the speakers on your wood floor without scratching it.

Once you've found the proper placement, the felt can be removed.

The felt discs can be found in most hardware stores.
The AUDIO POINTS - APCD-2 BRASS COUPLING DISC are execeptional and they couple the speaker to the surface below them. I think decoupling can be a problem with certain discs. These things work very well with my VSMs on my hard wood floor and they are relatively cheap.