What's the latest word on the Emotiva UMC-1?

I just bought the Oppo 83 blu-ray player, and now see the Emotiva website says the UMC-1 processor is in initial shipping mode. At only $700, is this processor really of great quality and a bargain compared to the likes of more expensive units from Onkyo, Integra, Marantz, Rotel, etc? I'm looking to spend under $3,000. For strictly home theater use, would you go for the UMC-1 or what other product?
rxlarry99
"My friends and I don't "think" we can beat Audessey. We know we can as we've easily improved on it time after time."

You never really answered my question above. Are you "beating" Audessey with an 11 band graphic EQ, with fixed frequencies and no adjustable Q?
You never really answered my question above. Are you "beating" Audessey with an 11 band graphic EQ, with fixed frequencies and no adjustable Q?>>>

Easily. And I'll make it very simple. I can almost always improve on what the the Integra processor can do without even touching the EQ. The poor thing can't even get the basic settings for volume right, almost always overcooking the bass and usually the rears as well. Audessey can't even come close to what an experienced set of ears can do.

Frankly, it's so well known by the installers I've spoken to in NY, that I'm surprised anyone is even thinking that automated EQ gets it right.

I'll make this statement perfectly clear: If you rely 100% on these automated systems you're not hearing everything your system is capable of, regardless of the room.

Rob
My issue is that the Head of the company "bIg?" dan Laughman releasing a product that he had to know had (and for many still has) multiple issues.

You know Rob how many issues the unit had upon release and dany boy and his folks over there claimed it ran beautifully. Never once has he showed sincere contrition for unleashing a bug riddled product on the public. I feel he has contempt for his customers, as he feels since he has tonewinner products at cheap prices he will always have a market share.

From what I have heard they are still working on the code. This is a joke, and sometimes being the cheapest get you an arrogant, P.T Barunm like owner. Buy what you will it is your money. I wouldn't give a Schmendrick like Laughman a penny of my money.
James, I have no idea of what you're talking about, but if you rely on forums nonsense that's what you'll end up with.

So here's some "truth" to chew on:

1) Before I ordered my UMC-1 I contacted Emotiva and they outlined the problems that still existed for some users. They were effecting mainly Sat. TV customers and some cable users. They even told me which cable boxes they were still working on; it was only a few.

2) None of problems lined up with my cable & Blu-ray sources so I ordered the unit.

3) It came and it had a couple of bugs. Occasionally it would not power down. Twice it made a loud static sound. Skipping chapters on DVD's would leave the audio dropped out for about 1/2 second before it locked.

4) Emotiva was 100% up front about the existing issues and the firmware update a few weeks later did the rest.

5) Discussions with the folks with Emotiva and my e-mailed questions were ALWAYS handled properly and in a friendly manner. This was not the case with Onkyo BTW.

6) The Onkyo unit that I had (costing three times the UMC-1)had bugs of it's own that they never cleared up (including audio drop outs and video signal lock issues) and they took far longer to fix.

7) After owning 6 processors, the UMC-1 is the first where I was able to speak to the engineers directly who were working on the issues and knew the facts.

8) My UMC-1 works flawlessly using Comcast HD cable, PS3 Blu-Ray, Sony TV, Oppo BD and also occasionally for music.

A LOT of products have issues when they're released. I have no idea why you want to call anyone names. If the unit had issues I'd be all over it. I'm sorry. It works well and has only had a few bugs to cure. I have invested large amounts of money into my theater right down to installing a beam and special treatments. If the Onkyo or Marantz were better, I'd own them.
If anyone is local to Carmel NY and would like a demo of this system using the UMC-1 I'd be happy to show it off. My system clobbers most small theaters!
James, I put my money where my mouth is. But I don't buy blindly. I did my homework on the UMC-1 and waited for the dust to settle. And I got a better processor by doing so. I plan to do the same with their higher end model in a few months....and with 50% off!

Cheers,

Rob
"James, I have no idea of what you're talking about, but if you rely on forums nonsense that's what you'll end up with."

So other owners who posted their finding on a public forum are nonsensical. Your findings however are totally sensible.

"Emotiva was 100% up front about the existing issues and the firmware update a few weeks later did the rest."

Not true and you know it.

"After owning 6 processors, the UMC-1 is the first where I was able to speak to the engineers directly who were working on the issues and knew the facts."

So you spoke with the engineers in China (Tonewinner?)

"If anyone is local to Carmel NY and would like a demo of this system using the UMC-1 I'd be happy to show it off. My system clobbers most small theaters!"

Wow, that is impressive. Are you going to buy the Emo C.I series which is supposed to clobber skywalker ranch ?

"So here's some "truth" to chew on:"

Truth is in the eye of the beholder. You want to cheerlead for emo, good for you. You do put your money where your mouth is if you own the products. As I said I find the owner to be a huckster in what he says. Throw all the heartburn inducing bbq's you want, doesn't change what you are.