Projector question

I want to install a projector in our "media" room and get rid of the plasma tv. It would be used almost exclusively for movies. Maybe a little gaming and a little watching sports. Here's the thing, I know nothing about projectors. Budget of $1200-$1500. Do I want LCD, DLP, screen, painted "screen", etc?

Thanks
ecruz
I bought the Epson 8350 a few months back to replace my old Infocus X-1 projector....I'm very happy with the Epson.

I paid $1,199 for mine. (Visual Apex....an online dealer)

You do need to do some reading at the sites mentioned above before you buy, because the projector you buy "must" fit your needs for "your" room.

I use my projector for DVD movies, wii games, sports, and netflix streaming.

Dave
I don't understand the comment to go with a 70" at 4k. A projector and screen can be had easily for less than 4k. I got a jvc hd250 and a screen for less than 3k and there are far more choices out there. IMO if you don't think it can be done for less than 6k you haven't spent time with them or seen some of the offerings out there.

Epson and panasonic are very nice at their price points. Also your too
And external light will make a difference in how well it will look.
I third the Panasonic AE4000. It was my second projector after my Infocus 4800 went down. I bought it when it first came out and it has not let me down since.
For $1500 you can pick up a refurb Benq w6000 or a Mitsubishi hc4000 for a $1000. The Epson is nice..The Benq throws a better image.
Close out JVC DLA-HD350's floating around as clearance demo units in Best Buy's accross the land, can be had for $1200!!! JVC will replace bulbs, fix any issues (if there were any), and supply missing remotes, feet, power cables, etc under the manufacturers warranty!!
The difference between the JVC's and the Epson 8350?..NO CONTEST! JVC is in another league! And black level is IN THE BASEMENT BLACK!!!...which allows you to use ANY white screen, white wall paint options, or DIY screens, WITHOUT having to use high contrast gray screen/black screen to help black level and contrast!! The Epson's black level is like any other entry projector - GRAY! And the rest of the image is way more refined all around on the JVC (of course, the HD350/RS10's were $5000 new!)
Compared to the over hyped Panasonic 4000u, Epson 8500/8700's and such the JVC's simply whipe the floor with those competing models! Really, they're in another league...in fact they're the Mercedes Benz of projector's under $10k.
Comes with power "everything", anamorphic, large lens and automic power lens cover, 19db whisper quiet, and JVC's unbeatable customer service. ...All else are just passanger cars trying to compete.