Thoughts on Plasma, LCD, DLP and which way to go

I am looking to purchase a Flat screen tv and wanted to get some thoughts on whcih way to go? I have looked at all 3 types. I would like to find out people's experience's with the different technologies?
johnmcfarland
For Plasma take a hard look at the 50 inch Panasonic Panel at Visual Apex for 3K.

I personally am looking forward to viewing the new Sony SXRD 50 inch KDS-R50XBR1. True full high resolution HD, no burn in concerns, inputs galore. The general concensus among reviewers thus far seems to indicate that this is the best set out there. $3,500 or so if purchased online.

Available in 60 inch as well. HMMMMMMMMMMMM
Have the problems with plasma and high altitude been fixed as yet? Just curious. One of the reasons I didn't go for a plasma screen - besides the price - was that they didn't do well with high altitude. This was about a year ago, so I am sure things have changed by now.

Holly
A few thoughts...

1. JohnMcF- I didn't respond to your first inquiry about LG because you asked for owners and I don't own one. LG as a plasma brand isn't very good. There is a chain in Florida that runs colorful ads and sells them, as well as larger distribution channels. I don't know who sources their glass ( maybe they do inhouse) but their electronic processing doesn't provide clarity of imaging in the way that other mentioned brands do.

2. Burn in- The great urban myth. No residential owner of a plasma I know has burn in. None. I have seen burn in ( uneven phosphor wear) in plasmas used for 24/7 static displays- like bus station/airport schedules. And then not too frequently and only plasmas that have been on for years. Usually older ones like NECs from three or more years ago. Despite reports to the contrary, including the latest edition of consumer reports--it just isn't all that much of a risk.

3. Altitude- well-- all I can say is mine flew on an airplane from Seattle to Houston. It was perfect and remains so- over 2.5 years later ( no burn in BTW).

4. Yes that 50 inch from VA is a good bet. Most of the other newer options mentioned aren't price competitive and have almost no track record as far as repairs etc-- yet still lots of promise there for sure.
I've seem burn-in in residential sets from extended use in 4:3 aspect (albeit, the burn-in was relatively minor). I think it can be an issue in the long run if one plans to keep the set for a very long time.

The altitude issue is one of noise. At higher altitude, the thinner air makes it harder to cool the set so the fan has to run at a higher speed -- hence more noise. This is often the case with RPTVs because they require a fan to cool the bulb. Plasma makers are getting much better at handling the noise issue. I saw a JVC plasma with a completely perforated back that has no cooling fan at all.

I like plasma sets, and in particular, if one requires a thin set to hang on the wall and a large screen size, there really are not many good alternatives. However, some of the LCOS/SXRD/DILA sets now coming on the market are pretty nice looking, provided one does not need a thin set.
My plasma has no fans and a perforated back on the top and bottom. It gets warm, but not hot.

AS far as burn in, we would have to separete burn in from after image retwntion--two different things. So if the bars remain lightly in the background after very prolonged 4:3 use and then disappear after the set is off and then used for other purposes that would be after image retention.

if on the other hand it was true burn in, you use the reverso inside out function on a 4:3 screen to even the phosphor wear and elimanate theuneveness; the picture setting would then be adjusted to DVE or AAVIA or calibration standards.