A brutal review of the Wilson Maxx

I enjoy reading this fellow (Richard Hardesty)

http://www.audioperfectionist.com/PDF%20files/APJ_WD_21.pdf

g_m_c
After listening to a good friend and his son two nights ago.
As they played their drum kits. I have yet to hear a speaker capture that kind of dynamics..I doubt that system exist.

The sound pressure levels in the room had to exceed well over 100 dB. His son at only 6 yrs old ran me out of his room. The intensity of the cymbals was more than my ears could bare. I've come to a conclusion that a long time drummer's hearing has got to be jacked up.LOL
There's no way you can play drums regular like I heard the other night for several hours at 110dB and still have decent hearing after a few years.

Strings seem the easiest instruments to imitate.Well except for the Bass and Cello. Some speakers make them sound bloated and draaaaawn out.
The Paino's over tones aren't too bad or the key strikes..but the weight of the piano seems difficult to duplicate on most systems.

I agree with Bigtee on the 1st order,phase correct or time aligned speakers. I haven't heard any other type speaker come as close to imitating certain instruments. Scale is a different story as most if not all systems would run out of steam before they could get that part right. It's a tough pill to swallow but measurements do play a part in getting the correct timbre and decay of instruments if the recording allows it.
Gmood1, I did the samething. A friend of mines son is a professional drummer. After listening to him practice a while---wow, no way will any audio system capture what I heard. It really shows the dynamic limitations that are imposed on the audio chain. When a couple of acoustic guitars were added in for fun, well, you really see what's missing in home reproduction.
hi,

Live is live, I spend as much time as possible there. Audio reproduction is audio reproduction a distant second IMHO. But to keep trying to find that which is close, that's the fun of the chase, isn't it ?

good listeing

Larry
I have remembered this reviewer from many years ago in the S. Calif. area where I was raised.At the time he was using the top of the line Sound Lab A-1's I beleive with a SOTA Subwoofer which I can't recall,But the sound quality was very accurate and extremely musical in its recreation.
It was obvious he spent a great deal of time matching the ELS's with proper tube gear as well ,and you walked away from his show room Spellbound to say the least.
The difference is sound resulting from the choice of microphone, its radiation pattern and physical placement is several orders of magnitude greater than the difference in sound between a well designed first order crossover/time aligned speaker and an equally well designed higher order/non time aligned speaker. I'm not saying that phase accuracy doesn't add to sonic realism, but that it's drawfed by arbitrary decisions made during the recording process.