who makes a decent center channel speaker?

thinking of going vandersteen...any others come to mind?
128x128phasecorrect
Markphd: "The centre speaker can be optimized for the reproduction of midrange, which is the frequencies where the voices are located.".................."And that's fine, but it fails to take advantage of the speaker specialization that the centre is designed for and which enhances the home theatre experience."
Can you tell us what those 'specializations' are? What optimizations for voice distinguish it from proper main speakers and do not compromise frequency response?

Unfortunately, the construction of the vast majority center speakers is faulty BY INTENT as they cater to aesthetics and convenience rather than performance. This leaves the users of those companies main speakers in the lurch, without a satisfactory alternative other an using an additional main speaker.

Kal
Unfortunately, the construction of the vast majority speakers is faulty BY INTENT as they cater to aesthetics and convenience rather than performance.

I quite agree.
If you are trying to match R&L's that either don't have a center or the center is too much $$$, contact speakercity.com Tell them what you have and they may be able to build you something voiced very closely, even using the same drivers. They did this for my Coincident speakers before there was a center available. It was fairly cheap too.
Elevick:
If you are trying to match R&L's that either don't have a center or the center is too much $$$, contact speakercity.com Tell them what you have and they may be able to build you something voiced very closely, even using the same drivers. They did this for my Coincident speakers before there was a center available. It was fairly cheap too.
Sure. ;-)
Do you really think they can clone any decent speaker you send them? I am very skeptical.

Kal