Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
My main problem was that I was trying to use a home theater speaker that begs for an augmenting subwoofer to reproduce music. It just doesn't look much like a home theater speaker at 48" tall. My subs were placed for aesthetic purposes rather than than best sound. In their locations, I had a very deep hole between 60 and 90 Hz at my listening chair, so they were unable to contribute very much. The MWT doesn't really need help in the midbass frequencies, so in my room they sound much better than the speakers they replaced.

Since my first post, my wife allowed me to move a sub to one of the corners of the room. I still have the Deftechs, but have no desire to put them back in to hear the effect of the change. I'm having too much fun listening to my new babies, both with and without a sub. They are now hooked up to a pair of Wyred 4 Sound monoblocks, a new purchase.
Been catching up on the entire thread, now up to page 27 and the posts are now only 2 years old.

I sacrificed my vinyl collection in Europe 20 years ago because I deemed them to not be worth their weight in shipping costs to return back to the U.S., so I'm 100% digital. One of the factors I weighed was while I was living there, I purchased a DAT so I could create copies of CDs that I was able to borrow from my client's library, which was largely French garbage as it turned out. This slightly predates the availability of CD recorders for home entertainment systems.

I have discovered some modern sonic classics for demoing/evaluating components. I normally wouldn't bother with live recordings for critical listening, but there are a couple of standouts in my collection:

Diana Krall's Live in Rio on blu-ray. The opening track is one of the more sparse arrangements on the disc due to a backing orchestra, and I love the way the MWT handles the upright bass, making me grin as much as the player does.

Second is called the Legends of Jazz Showcase, a compilation of songs from the TV show hosted by Ramsay Lewis.

Next is from AIX Records that is mainly a vehicle for 3D video demonstration called Goldberg Variations Acoustica, but the company's raison d'etre is superior sound.

And finally, I splurged for the DSOTM blu ray package from 2011 which includes various DVDs and CDs as well. The blu ray has 3 sound options, including LPCM 2.0 sampled at 96Khz/24 bit.

My own 5.1 system is in a state of flux, and I'm currently working on infrastructure. I recently purchased 5 Transparent Audio ICs, with speaker wire to be upgraded next. I also bought the Walsh Center Channel speaker, the one pictured on the Ohm website link to the center channel page. I haven't brought that home from the office yet, because my TV needs to be raised 2 more inches to accommodate it.
Received an email today for John Strohbeen, president of Ohm Acoustics Corp. which I copy here:

We are having a 3-Day SALE with:
20% off new speakers
20% off upgrades
20% off parts and service

An extra 20% off items in our Outlet Store where discounts of up to 30% are already in place on limited items.

20% off Everything!

Ends at 11:59PM on Monday, February 17th.

Use the coupon GEORGE20 when you check out to get your discount.

I'll be at the factory (800-783-1553) on Monday for 11 AM to 6 PM.

John has a few sales per year. The terms usually vary. This looks like a way to save money on just about anything he offers. Other sales have sometimes been limited to certain products, etc.
Mapman - I never liked Def tech speakers (although I have an old PF15 sub for LFE use only). But I really like the Golden Ear products. I know, same designer. But that folded ribbon tweeter is so sweet compared to the harsh metal domes in the def techs.

Anyway. Had an audiophile buddy over recently to hear my Ohms. He is a speaker designer himself, and quite knowledgable and skilled. He liked the Ohms a lot, although he remarked that they were a little rolled off up top (I like it that way), and not quite as airy as his own designs (which I have heard, and I agree). He also used his iphone to measure my in-room response. It was surprisingly smooth except for an odd dip around 500Hz (narrow-band). It did tilt down a bit from left to right, as I expected. Remember, I toe them in a bit, which will roll off the highs a little. All done on purpose.
No doubt toe in/out will effect air in any speaker, but more so with OHMs in standard setup where tweeter is normally facing/toed-in 45 degrees.

Sounds like your buddy has good ears!

My Dynaudio monitors also tend to have more "air" than the OHMs in most setups.

Yes, I liked the GE Aon folded ribbon during short audition, but not sure if it might be a bit too polite for me over the longer term or not. A mixed bag there but I liked the large Aon very much especially at its price point overall.