Monitors to replace EPOS M-16i

Can I get suggestions on monitors or small floor-standing loudspeakers to replace a set of EPOS M-16i? I love their level of detail and resolution, but it seems like they're just a BIT too hot on the high end. If I could back off a little without sacrificing too much of their revealing nature, I'd be happy as a clam.

I tried a set of NHT Classic Threes, and they went too far in the other direction. This is primarily a 2-channel hifi system, but I periodically use it to check recording mixes, so tonal and dynamic accuracy is a must.

Associated equipment includes a Quad 909 amp, Acurus RL11 preamp, Cambridge 640c V2 source, and Hsu VTF-2 mk3 subwoofer. I'd also consider replacing the CD player. Budget is ~ $1K USD. Thanks!
Ag insider logo xs@2xja2austintx
I should have made it clear that I am OK with (and prefer) gently used speakers.

Also, my room is probably bigger than average -- 14' x 22', with the system on the short wall and the listening position roughly midway down the room. (I try to avoid EXACTLY midway down the room for acoustic modal reasons, but furniture has a way of not cooperating.)
I'm surprised you have an issue with hf prominence using the Quad 909. That said, the Quad 12L has a "quiet" clean sounding tweeter, but (in my experience) it seems to have a recessed midrange compared to other speakers I had at the time. For me, the 12Ls sounded great, but when switching back to other speakers I had that "oh yeah" moment. The 11L might be more open in the mids, haven't heard them. Sounds like you need to look at soft dome speakers, although I feel that manufacturers like Totem, Alon, and PMC have done great work with metal.
Thanks for the comments. Blkadr, it looks like you have some experience with the Quad line -- how about the 22L2?

Another manufacturer that keeps popping up is LSA Group. Any comments on the LSA-1?
Actually, I used to have the 909 and a pair of 12L speakers a while back. These are the only recent Quads I have any experience with. Wish I could be more help. I've been hit hard by this economy so haven't been trading stuff lately. Right now I'm listening to my good old Swan M1s with a the only purchase I've made in two years, A Tamp-20 t-amp. Right now, surprisingly, I am happy as a clam.
Kinda biggish room - Some alternatives:

Quad 21L2 or 22L2
Totem Sttaf or Model One Signature
Dynaudio 52SE or Audience 72 or 72SE

Or keep Epos and...

Try Jolida or Naim CDP

Or

Try some warmer wires - like Radio Shack Auvio ICs