Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
Welcome back Gopher! I checked out your system over at AC, lookin real nice! Always liked the gloss black finish. I might have to look into those nanotech drivers myself as I'm still amazed with the sound of my Superflys. Hard to imagine they could sound better. Keep us posted.
From the 30 minutes or so I spent in front of them I'll say the nanotecs are a very worthwhile upgrade for the Superfly. My Superflys never had the level of resolution and refinement the new driver did. Staging also seemed a lot bigger--overall it was just a more complete listen.

I've got the nanotecs ordered for my Definitions now and am eagerly awaiting their arrival in about a month.
I am currently listening to Soul Superflys but saving for Def. 4 as my "final"speakers.

In the meantime I am thinking about upgrading my amp as well which is currently a RWA Sig. 30.2. (pre is Modwright 9.0 SWLP). I am generally quite happy with it but sometimes find it a tad sterile so would like a bit more emotionality. A bit more soundstaging and also power/weight would also be welcome. I listen to quite a bit of rock music and have a fairly big room (approx 60sqm, opening into an adjoining hall). My idea is to make a bit step up on the amp now on the Superflys and then use it on the Def. 4 in a future hopefully not too far away.

So I am thinking about a tube SET or maybe even p-p amp (voiced in the SET direction) with approx.20 + watts in the 7-9 k range new. Hopefully this would enable a big step forward (I am not interested in changing just for the sake of changing something) and would appreciate your thoughts. As I am in Europe many of the US brands are not readily available here but I will make an effort to find Audion and some of the Italian brands such as Mastersound. I thought also about lesser known brands such as NAT (their SE1 models looks nice), Ancient Audio or Trafomatic (they have a 45 p-p model which I think might fit the Superflys but not sure about the Def. 4).
Any thoughts are very welcome.
Gemini
When I had Zu Def 2s, I tried 45 (Yamamoto), 2a3 (DeJa Vu Audio), and eventually 300b (Ancient Audio) SETs. In part because I have very long speaker cable runs - probably 50' or so from one side of the room, under the floor through the cellar, and up the other side of the room - and because I have a huge listening space, I found that the 45 and 2a3 SET amps lacked necessary oomph. A 8 watt 300b SET was about the lower limit of what I considered acceptable.

I now have Zu Def 4s and find the combination with Ancient Audio Lektor Prime and a custom 300b SET (an updated version of the Integra that Jarek no longer makes) with Takatsuki TA-300b tubes to be great. (I have not gone back to try lower power SETs with the Def 4s, however.) If you go the 300b route, do not underestimate the impact of these Japanese 300b tubes; I tried Shuguang Black Treasures that came with the amp and Sophia Royal Princes, and the difference is significant.

As far as Ancient Audio is concerned, I like their gear; but it can be a bit quirky. Jarek built a novel (for him, at least) protective circuit into my 300b SET. When I first tried the Sophia and then Takatsuki 300b (rated at 60-65 mA), the circuit tripped within 60-90 minutes; and the amplifier shut down almost immediately. Finding a pair of 300b with a lower mA rating prolonged the listening time before it shut down, but not by much. I had Deja Vu Audio look at it; they replace a few small parts and changed the bias; and I now can get about 4-5 hours of listening before the circuit is activated and another 2-3 hours before the amp shuts down. This circuit may have seemed to be a good idea to Jarek, but it is frustrating. I have not listened to either his flagship 300b PSET or his 6c33 based amps. However, I must confess that despite all of the other issues, I enjoy the sound as well as the fact that they are "unique" - especially in North America. Conversely, dealing with problems between Washington, DC and Krakow can be frustrating. From your list, I assume that you are in Europe. Jarek welcomes contact with potential customers (although he is sometimes slow to answer email) and is very hospitable; I bought the Lektor Prime CDP after listening to it in his home in Krakow.

I heard the Yamamoto 45 SET a few weekends ago with the Def 4s, but it was in a small room. Two other amplifier manufacturers that you might consider are Sophia Electric and Border Patrol. Phil (Cobra 213) thinks that 845 SET amps - specifically either the Audion or the Sophia Electric - mate extremely well with the Def 4s; I have not heard either.
I'm really partial to the Melody gear and Zu speakers. I'm using an MK88 (KT88 push pull that is surprisingly beautiful) right now and am hoping to buy an AN211 as a potential 'destination' amp with my Def 2s (nanotec drivers on order).

Given you are in Europe, the amp could be had pretty cheaply too.