1955-2001 Favorite Top Ten Rock Groups

To get a better feel for the types of people on this site, IYHO, what are your favorite rock artists top tenwise. I just like to know.
shubertmaniac
Ben_Cambell, yup, I agree. Trelja, the coupling of The Tragically Hip and Eric Johnson sounds interesting (although I am not too familiar with the Hip). :) By the way, what does Eric Johnson play in live these days? Thanks in advance....
Trelja.Philadelphia?? A Jersey Shore kind of guy?? Somers Point? Margate? The Dunes at 5am?? 1972-75 a fabulous bar band: The Sky Band!!!! Did you see them???? T-Bar on McDade Blvd? Tower Theatre??Mann Music Center?? Academy of Music?? Saw Billy Joel in 1974 at the Academy one of the best rock/pop concerts because of the acoustics. I forgot the Main Point in Bryn Mawr, saw THE BEST CONCERT THERE:MUDDY WATERS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST!!!! Sorry to say even better than my beloved Yardbirds. Did you sample the Yardbirds latest??? Sorry about the demise of WFLN?? What is it now the Point or something??
WOW!!! You're really bringing back memories Shubertmaniac. Speaking of you, is your named derived from our Shubert Theater? Just wondering... Do you live in this area? Saw the aforementioned Tragically Hip/Eric Johnson concert at the Tower. Not sure whatever happened to EJ, Cogito. I am definitely a Jersey Shore kind of guy. I have a home in Sea Isle City. Sounds like you would have a story or two to tell from there. Maybe the LaCosta, Ocean Drive, Springfield Inn, Dead Dog Saloon, etc... My neighbor is an old time folk singer, who founded the Philadelphia Folk Festival, and was the original owner of The Main Point(being that you brought the place up). Had people by the name of Billy Joel, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, etc. play there before anyone knew who they were. He's 85 years old, and one of the coolest people I have ever met. Too bad he hates rock... His children are also noted musicians. Tim Britton, his son, an Irish piper. The Britton Sisters(his two daughters), a folk duo. The Philadelphia Inquirer did a front page story on him(for the 30th Anniversary of the festival or something). In the article, some lyrics were printed from one of his old(60's???) songs, "Barefoot, Bearded, and Bedraggled". "I'm barefoot, bearded, and bedraggled. Stoned and drunk as I can be. I'm the counter-culture, and I'm all folked up..." Not bad, in my opinion. I'll never forget them. Great for laughs. Great thread you started here!
Shubertmaniac How about Bonnie Raitt at the Bijou; David Bowie at Tower Theater; Taj Mahal at the Academy. Tell me you really saw Muddy Waters at the Main Point? Don't forget the Steel Pier where I saw The Supremes AND The Temptations in 1965 (10-15 minutes per set). Man Philly had a bunch of venues. Also The Electric Factory (Big Brother and Janis Joplin in was it 69?). And of course the free summer concerts at Robin Hood Dell in Fairmont Park. What great memories.
I used to rock and roll but what with my bum knee and all... The Who, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton (Yardbirds, Blind Faith, Derek & Dominos), Frank Zappa, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane (Starship,Hot Tuna), CSN&Y, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Beatles. Saw them all live except for The Beatles (fuzzy memories, tinitus and ticket stubs to show for it). I listen to and own many works by above artists. However a guest would probably hear this top 10 mixed in with the new today: Wire, The Smiths, The Chameleons, Bauhaus, The Cure, XTC, The The, The Clash, The Jam, Joy Division. Fond of the 80s'. Heavy club years I guess. Be seeing you.