Wilson Audio- The rest of the story

The rest of the story:
06-05-10 I posted my Wilson Sophia II right speaker had developed a razor thin crack in the cabinet between the top and bottom portion of the speaker. There was much debate within myself as to what course to take. My first option was to return the Sophia II’s and have the cabinets rebuilt with the same drivers. My second option was to return the Sophia II’s and pay additional money for the new Sophia III’s. I decided to return the Sophia II’s and I am now the proud owner of Sophia III’s.
Although originally disappointed with the development of the razor thin crack in the Sophia II, this experience has reinforced why I believe in Wilson Audio. My dealer and Wilson Audio have been above reproach during this whole ordeal. Wilson Audio arranged for the Sophia II’s to be picked-up and returned free of charge. The Sophia III’s were shipped 1 day early. There has been much debate over the cost of Wilson Speakers relative to their performance. I am not rich and it has taken me over 20 years as a music lover to get to this point. Lots of selling, trading, and saving to own Sophia III’s. I love the Wilson sound: the clarity, the pinpoint/life like imaging, and no other speaker I know of has the Wilson dynamics. With proper matching of equipment, the Sophia’s are simply magic to my ears (and my wife). The great news for me is the service matches the quality of the sound. I realize from my own experience and submit that we purchase high-end products for several reasons: sound quality, pride of ownership, expectation of outstanding customer service. Wilson Audio and my dealer has exceeded my expectations of what high-end should be! I’ve only had them for a couple of days, but here are my initials impressions.
Bass- tighter and significantly more impact
Mids- slight haze has been removed
Tweeter- too soon to tell
Overall I can’t see any current Sophia II owner not being extremely satisfied if they upgrade to the Sophia III’s. More to come as they break-in!
My system: Densen B-350 mono-amps, Densen B-250 preamp, Rega Apollo CD player, Kimber Hero interconnect, Clear Day double shotgun speaker cable.
ricred1
If markup is usually 5 times the cost of building for almost all products, why even make the original statement about mark up in regards to this speaker company. If the product was not worth the price, than the company would not have survived this long.

It makes no sense to think that the majority of people who buy Wilson speakers are making the purchase just to say they have the most expensive speaker. Do you know how many of my friends or collegues know about Wilson speakers. Zero.

Paired with my VTL amp and pre-amp they sound fantastic! After 6 years, I have no regrets on the money spent.
To be honest I would not be surprised if Sophia III speakers cost about $4000 to $5000 to manufacture. but a company wants to make a profit. Needs money to develop new products etc etc.

The the distributor of the speaker wants to make some money and finally the shop owner wants to make some money as well.

I don't think anyone is getting rich, yes they do make a living but I don't think it will get them in the quote 500.

An iPhone is €1000.- if I buy one in the shope. If I were to guess to would cost less the €100 to make one.
Musictime,

I agree with you, none of my friends are familiar with Wilson Audio. I've been into music since I was 12 years old and I just hit my 45th birthday. I've owned many speakers (Klipsch, DeVorve, Artemis, Audio Physics) and I just love the sound of Wilson Audio. That dosn't mean there aren't other great speakers and I'm fine knowing that some hate the sound of Wilson. Wilson's aren't the most expensive speakers and I doubt very seriously that any logical person would purchase a speaker just to say I own it considering most people don't know what they are. I hope I have my Sophia III's for the next 10 years or more.
So I live the USA. We're in a free market economy. You are free to buy and sell at whatever price you want with your money (depending on gov't regulations where they exist).

Wilson employs american workers, builds their goods in the USA, pays heathcare, benefits, wages and has a r&d and sales/marketing cost as well. Cost of parts is only one factor in markup.

If you don't like their product, fine. Go buy something else. If you like their product, buy it. Ranting on profit margins is best left to our free market system, free to move to other countries/economic systems or take it up with US Congress. (Gosh knows, maybe they'll pass a Wilson Speaker Consumer Protection Act)

Until then I'll love my Wilson's and won't loose a wink of sleep on the price I paid or the great service I get from them and my austin based dealer. Of course that sound is pretty damn good to and my toes are tapping to the tunes as I type this...

Ricred1, congrats on your purchase and a very very fine set of speakers!!!
Glad all things worked out. The level of service from Wilson has always been exemplary. Granting the prices they charge, it would only be reasonable if they offer such !