Favorite DAC?

As I am pondering venturing into the DAC arena, there are a few that come to mind. My question is what is your personal favorite and why? Also, do you prefer the Solid State versions or the Tubed versions? Certain ones that I am considering would be the Electrocompaniet, AudioMeca, Levinson, Musical Fidelity in the solid state. In the tubed version would be like a Kora or an Audio Logic.

Thanks for all opinions.

Good listening,

Steve
sbachman
Steve, for what it's worth, I LOVE my Audiomeca. I had a 1 month period to A-B it against other dacs including the EMC-1, which I also had for over a month. The Audiomeca is an incredible sounding unit. I can honestly say, it's the first time I actually found digital pleasing to the ear. I am running full balanced from an Audiomeca Obsession player through to a YBA amp. I can"t say enough about the Audiomeca stuff.

Best of luck with your decision, Ed.
John Marks of Stereophile talked me into a Benchmark Media Systems DAC-1. It's a pro unit that has since received many audiophile rave reviews. It's about $900 and can be returned if you don't like it.
Weiss MEDEA, after owning emm labs DAC6, dCS Purcell/Delius, ML 30.6 and 380S, Audiomeca Enkianthus, Cello Reference DAC, Meridian 861, Pacific Microsonics Model One, among others.
I'm very happy with the Electrocompaniet ECD-1. I must say though that I find the sound of Dacs-like most things audio-to be a highly personal and subjective thing. I strongly suggest auditioning a few if possible to determine your choice. It might save you a few Audiogon transactions!
I love my Bel Canto DAC2, but while I auditioned lots of single box CD players, the Bel Canto is the only DAC I auditioned. Have fun listening!